ok, tonight im going to build a layout.

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by ozzy, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Darn Geno mine is more than cold at this time of the year. It's 12 above zero and mine has no heat.:eek:

Yeah but you speak some truth life is happy when your wife is happy.

I think that oz though has some leverage, his wife didn't say tear it all done yet. I was lucky we came to a fast agreement and I was given the space in our family room. I don't even want to say what I had to give up but then again trade offs in life aren't all that bad. She snored anyways.:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  2. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

you wait, one of these days i will catch her coming home with another 300.00 something or other ..... and then i will get the extension. hehe. guilt trips works both ways. and what i want dont cost much money, i have everything for what i want to do..... i just want a place to use it.

i will be glad when we are in a bigger house, we already started looking, but we are waiting for her to get out of school before we buy another house.
  3. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

At least you are not trying to take over the dining room like I did. We used to have a nice big long dining table with six chairs. I took the extra leaves out, compressed it down, put two of the chairs into the storage shed and built my layout to take up the rest of the space. We are the same in that I also was going out to the club twice a week for four hours at a time. Now I can stay home. Difference between us is, I had 100% agreement first which made the rest to follow a lot easier.

4. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Dining Rooms are so old fashion anyways.:mrgreen: I tried that line but it didn't work so well.:confused:
  5. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

Yep. See that couch in front of the TV? I'm ashamed to admit it but that's where we eat most of our meals.
  6. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I can't figure it out. We have this large dinning room that can sit about 20 people. We use it once a year for Thanksgiving for a total of four people. What a large wasted space and a cool place for trains.:mrgreen:
  7. dbaker48

dbaker48 Member

I admire your courage !! And how fast you've done all this. Thought I would share what I tried.

My wife was gone on an extended trip for a month. Soooooooo..... I decided I need a little more space. My train room is adjacent to the dinning room, and has a common window. Shown in the upper right.

So thought that space would make a great classification yard, even with a bump.

So anyway she came home and for some reason didn't think it was such a good idea. I had to remove it. Maybe if you shared this with her, she may be more compassionate for yours.
  8. Geno

Geno Member

My layout is in a nice warm 20 x 20 room, but because I want to go bigger I've got to move my layout down to the garage (lost my lease). Oh, well- at least I won't have any more spousal interference in the redesign of my layout. And I can expand out into the backyard when it gets warmer.

I'm actually going to try doing what the HO guys do- raise the benchwork high enough so I can park some cars under it. Kind of curious to see how that will go...

Don- You're a brave man. If My wife saw me setting up trains in her dining area or living room, she'd read me the Riot act and stop cooking for me!:eek:

9. dbaker48

dbaker48 Member

Geno, She was in Wisconsin when I did that.
  10. scubadude

scubadude Member

I've found it always best to do things such as these while the wife is out of town. When I was a kid, my Dad bought us both dirt bikes while my Mom was away, and he bought a boat that way too! It was a little quiet around the house for awhile, but Mom got over it..sign1
  11. Jonadel

Jonadel Member

Years ago my wife was gone for a week on business and I was busy. I ripped out and replanted a decorative hedge row of about 30 yards. I also removed the ugliest kitchen carpet you've ever seen, rubber back glued down, that was a tough one wall1 never again, I'll hire that done next time. She was very pleased and surprised when she got home. Last summer I was gone for a week on a motorcycle trip with one of our sons and when I got back I couldn't believe it, I've never seen our house this clean. We both agreed that the time apart was good for both of us, we appreciated each other even more. Funny how that works :thumb::thumb::thumb:

12. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

Ozzy I have a spare couch if you need some place to sleep.
  13. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

she works till 10pm tonight..... should i finish it?.......lmao,

i will the part we agreed on anyway.
  14. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Heck yes, and I would do what DB did run it trough some walls and include some fine furniture as part of the layout. You know you could get a nice slope to the first floor and use the kitchen sinks as real lakes.:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

I know your having some fun and I would bet you even know how far you can go without getting the wife upset. So I say do it just as long as it doesn't get you hit over the head with a cast iron frying pan.:thumb:
  15. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i keep changing the darn track plan, GRRRR
  16. ah yes the trials and tribulations of a model railroadersign1
  17. kfh227

kfh227 Member

I'm kinda hoping for pictures. This is a fairly quick build and curiosity has hte best of me.
  18. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i will get some in the next day or two.
  19. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I think it was on this forum where there was a post about a guy that used his whole apartment for his N gauge layout. It went through every room and needed lift bridges for the front door. It included a helix to take the trains to the second level. I wish I could find it because that was some track plan.
  20. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Here is what a fellow Western PA person did when he decided to use the bulk of his house in O gauge. This is courteously of Marty another Western Pa train fan.

The Rob Pratte Photo Album on MartyE.com