ok, tonight im going to build a layout.

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by ozzy, Jan 20, 2008.

1. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

thats right, i was looking at the upstairs...... i can rearrange it to make a o-scale layout so i will not have to run carpet layouts anymore. it wont be as big or as nice as i want when we move in a couple years to a house better suited for a layout but at least i wont be on the floor.

now for the part that might get me into hot water with the "boss"... she just left for work, she dont have a clue im going to do it. wont be home till 6:30 am i will have it rearranged and the bench work done by 6am.

hey.... what can she do .... it will already be done......sign1

i have figured into the plan some space for her as well. im hoping that will make it ok...lol and even with the layout up there we will have more space then we do now after i thin out all the junk, damn pack rats anyway....lol

wish me luck!. pics to come when there is something to take a pic of...lol
  2. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

3. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

ok, its 1am break time! so far i have a 4'x8' table with a 2'x8' table they are set up in an L shape.

next i will start the next table that will be 57" long, and go at the end of the 2'x8' table , i think i will make it 40" wide to loop back to the 2'x8'. then i will work on the shelves for the other wall, 10" wide by how ever long the wall is.

and i will need to make a 10 " wide lift out bridge that will take the train from the 4x8 table, across the doorway to the upstairs to the 10" shelf. and another lift out bridge 10" wide from the shelf to the 57"x40" table so i can get to the other side of the room.
  4. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Good Luck with the layout and the boss.
  5. scubadude

scubadude Member

BAD TO THE BONE, Ozzy :thumb: 'Tis better to ask for forgiveness, than to ask for permission !!!!! :twisted:.... I admire your..well, um you know sign1....You are the man :inw: we're all pullin' for you!!!
  6. tetters

tetters Rail Spiking Fool!

You're a bad man ozzy...sounds like what I pretty much did when I started my bench work...heh!
  7. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

did i tell you its in our bedroom?.....lmao our room is the whole upstairs, the room is T shaped, we use the top of the T for the bedroom, the leg was storage.

she came home after work, came upstairs to bed ,,,,, seen it and said "Get the F*** out!!!".... lmao

after she got up a little while ago tho she said that we do have more space this way. so i think im good to go....

but ti did not tell her i was not done with the bench work yet.....lol

never did get more then the first 2 tables done, took longer then planned cleaning out the area
  8. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

this layout will have at least 1 half circle of 072 curves to, (when i get them) never had anything bigger then 048 here at home.

will have 2 ,,,maybe 3 lines running. a small 2 or 3 track yard, and a couple of spurs and sidings. and it will be DCS in the end.
  9. Brutus

Brutus Member

Sounds good Ozzy, keep us posted on the progress! Since I got booted out of the livingroom all I have is a 4 x 8 table so I am very jealous! LOL
  10. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

well im already wanting to claim more real estate.....lmao..... i think im going to make the 10" shelf a 2' wide bench.
  11. Jonadel

Jonadel Member

I thought I heard a small explosion this morning coming from SE IA sign1

Good job Ozzy, you 'da man!
  12. scubadude

scubadude Member

13. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

I'm wondering how that 4X8 table will work as a bed? You may be sleeping on or under it at some point soon.
  14. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

lmao! heck, her darn beagles kick me out of the bed most the time anyway, so no difference. she says they work better as heaters then a electric blanket ....lol i rather they stay outside...lol
  15. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

fights on now.....lol now to come to a compromise...lol
  16. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

better now,,, she was not understanding what i was wanting to do. she thought i wanted twice as much space as i was asking for.
  17. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

:mrgreen: You do know you might come home one day and find your bags on the yard.:mrgreen:
  18. Geno

Geno Member

I waged a "War of the Roses' with the wife over my L-shaped (bent dogbone) 20 x 20 layout built in our bonus room. She initially refused to even allow me to build it, even though the room was basically empty and not being used, and even after she relented and apporved the first design she changed her mind about it at least three times (each time I had to revise the plans to get her re-approval).

She finally approved it after I built base cabinets to support it, and built a queen-sized rolling guest bed that fits under one of the ends of the layout.

I would work on the design with her first before doing any actual building- there's nothing wosre than having to tear down your hard work just to keep your wife from complaining and arguing with you. No train layout is worth having if you can't run trains in peace.

19. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i told her tonight that she gets made when i drive 60 miles one way to run trains at the club, and she gets mad when i try to build a layout here at home so i can stay home like shes wants...... i said she cant have it both ways, now witch is it going to be?.......lol

its not so much that she dont want me to have/run trains, but there has just been a lot of stress, with her working full time and going to school full time, and me working full time and dealing with my surgery/cancer stuff.

trains and bikes relieves some of my stress, and its to darn cool to ride bikes...lol

the good news is i have come up with a better plan without using more space. going to make the 4'x8' table an 5 1/2' x 8' i can fit more on it, and get rid of the 10" shelf. and the 2' x 8' will be 30"x 8'. and i will have an upper level for a yard 15" wide on it.
  20. Geno

Geno Member

A wise man once said "if Momma isn't happy you definitely won't be either...".

Skip running trains for a little bit and take the wife out for dinner, get a cup of coffee, or whatever she wants to do. Give her a big hug and a kiss, tell you're the luckiest man in the world for being married to her (yeah, she'll know you're BSing her, but they need to hear it from time to time).
    When she knows you put her happiness in front of yours, she'll reciprocate- that's when you tell her about the new extension you're planning...:mrgreen:

That's when you can start building your new and improved layout in the garage (hey, it's cold in there, but she's not going to bug you in there:cool:).