Ok to use Dullcote on paper models?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by andrew ferguson, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Is it ok to use Testors Dullcote (now called Flat Finish) on paper models? Specifically i'd like to use the spray can version. I've added several plastic parts to my model and the paint and white glue has left lots of little shiney spots. I'd like to spray the whole model with dullcote but not sure about the short and possible longterm negative effects of doing this.

Anyone with experience in this area?
  2. cecil_severs

cecil_severs Member

I've had good results with Dullcote on at least one model. It was sprayed about 9 months ago so pretty good long term results. It would probably be a good idea to print a test sheet to see how it affects the ink from your printer. I always coat my models sheets with Krylon Krystal Clear to protect them and that may not be necessary prior to using Dullcote but it does'nt hurt anything either.

Hope this helps.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Aferguson,

Yes, it is ok to use it on a paper model provided you 1. dont use it on really thin paper (it will saturate it easily if you do) and 2. you follow the instructions and hold 10 to 14 inches from the part to be sprayed.
    Remember it is better to apply several very light coats rather than one or a few "heavy" coats. The stuff has a fast dry time so light coats work best.
    If you ever get a "run" in it though......well, it aint nothing nice. It will not only give a new "depth" to a camo paint scheme, but will also seal the ink to the paper.

I hope this answers your question, have a good evening,

Greg aka GW