Ok so how did you guys get started on designing?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by GT5500, Aug 6, 2006.

1. 46rob

46rob Member

My tutorial on building a jet fuselage is available as a free download on the FG web page if anyone wants a look at it.
  2. Alcides

Alcides Member

I can't find it.

Where I have to look at? I can't find the page.

3. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Well Lizzie I agree with you on some points and disagree on others. I do agree that having a working understanding of designing outside the computer is pretty much required to produce top notch models. I myself have 20 years card modeling design experience 19 of those not using the computer to design the model. I used cad for many of those years but I think that is acceptable cause it couldn't unroll anything and all my work was in 2d. In the last year that I've been using Rhino I feel that my potential has been greatly increased by the automation of previously time consuming chores. I think that experience is needed to bring out the full potential of the program and that someone who had at the very least never built a card model is not capable of using Rhino(or any other unrolling program) to its max potential. I offer as evidence the inboard wing section of my Corsair:

This was entirely done in Rhino and I am quite proud of it. Anyone with a trained eye can pick out the seams (if the pic weren't so blurry) but it looks almost like a compound curve. I guess my point is that to say "a program can never produce as good a product as a human" just isn't true. I don't think that a program doing it by itself could manage it but operator skill counts for a lot. Or to put it a different way the ability to think outside the box or "rectangel bias" counts for a lot. Rhino is perfectly capable of doing things in more curvy fashion but a lot of designers aren't.
  4. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I thought I'd add a new post instead of editing my last. I just remembered this pic:

which was readily accessable and hopefully will further reinforce my point. This model was designed by hand (meaning of course that I did use acad) but if you look closely you will see that the wing design is remarkably similar to the Rhino designed one, the reason is obvious; I'm the designer. The big difference between the 2? A much higher degree of overall accuracy in the Rhino designed version. I had more tools to work with and that allowed the model to be substantially improved. Using the sculpture analogy I would almost say it is like having half of the normally available tools to do the job, a good sculptor can probably obtain much the same result but not with the same speed or efficiency.
  5. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Surely all these points depend entirely on what you are prepared to put into your project, and what you hope to get out of it. A PC and the software to run it are only additional tools in the designers armoury, to be used with flair, imagination and skill in exactly the same way the designer/craftsperson wields all the other tools and materials they use.

The snappiest CAD program will produce junk models in the hands of a slap-dash person, just as suredly as a blunt scalpel handle or poorly selected materials. Equally, the product of a painstaking and careful craftsperson will look the bees knees however the end product was made.

To answer the original question, I've been an avid modelmaker all my life, and after many years working as an architectural model maker, then running my own model accessory business ( PP Models; long gone now!) and now as a rapid prototyping technician, I've seen technology change the world of modelmaking out of all recognition. And the changes are still going on; you ain't seen nothin' yet!!!

But without the skill and imagination to apply these process', this will all be junk. Very accurate and rapidly produced, but junk nonetheless.

You just got to practise. And be constructively critical. And know when to look for advise, when to give it, and when to keep your mouth shut!

Tim P (wunwinglow)
  6. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

sdk2knbk, Are those ships available??
    I checked out your site but could not find any reference to them
  7. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Laker models

Not at the moment, too many little things I'm not satisfied with. What site did you check? I don't have one now.

8. -Jim G

-Jim G Member

Getting started designing

I started designing by first learning to re-color existing models. Then I found myself tinkering with small pieces to 'improve' the models that I was recoloring.

After recoloring quite a few models it was not a giant leap to start making my own designs.
  9. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Well hurry up Scott.......... I didn't know I wanted them until I saw the pictures........... and like it's says at the bottom............ I want then now!

They do look good, and I like those ships too!

10. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

sdk2knbk, I thought the site you link to was yours. BoatNerd
  11. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Thank you for sharing the photos of your model. I've been admiring your work on that wing and appreciate getting a better look at it.

I do consider cardmodeling to be sculture and you are a master at it. We are actually in agreement. I don't mean never use CAD. I mean consider if CAD is appropriate to a particular sculpture. For the tetrahedron shape that I showed, use of a computer would have added unnecessary complications. The beauty of that shape that it is in one sense so simple in terms of tools used. Your little corsair airplane is gorgious in a different way and so CAD is right for it.

The definition that I learned for "craftsmanship" is use of the best tools and materials in the best possible manner. Whatever is best depends on what the artist/cardmodeler is trying to accomplish.

Because craftsmanship is a match between methods, tools, materials, and intent the consideration of which tools and materials to use is of utmost importance. An artist can becoming so enamored with a particular tool or material that he or she forces the match between intent and methods and so uses the wrong tool for the intent. The flip side of the problem when an artist is so flighty that he or she never develops much skill with any tool or material. I don't see any of this on this site, although I sure have had problems committing to a material. For me selection of the best material is an ongoing struggle as well. Currently I'm struggling with a design problem in a wing where I 've got four different materials coming together. I might be able to solve the problem by replacing a plastic part with paper, but I'll have to build it to find out.

12. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

13. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Well Lizzie I'm glad we're on the same page and thank you for your kind words. I hope you can forgive me for jumping on your case without cause.
  14. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Oops, sorry Dan, I forgot I posted that. Boatnerd is my main source of reference material for all things Great Lakes, though. I did try once to have one of my ships posted there, but the original owner of the site, Neil Shultheiss, had to stop maintaining it, and turned the site over to someone else to run. I think my model just got lost in the shuffle. I haven't tried again since I found things in the model I want to correct first.

John, I think you'll like what I'm working on now, just watch for the next thread I start in a day or so...

To everyone else, an interesting thread going here, sorry to distract from it.