OK, new layout.

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by takev, Oct 23, 2003.

1. takev

takev Member

This is my second atemt for a layout, as the first one took just to much room, I am currently destroying it.

I am now building a bookcase (I get the wood tommorow) and on one of the shelfs will be the new layout. And I will use the turnouts I already bought.

All the numbers on the picture are in millimeters, I will convert them to foots and inches here for the people who are not used to the metric system.

The length is 7 foot and the short length on the right is 4 foot. The depth is between 1 and 1.5 foot.

There are 5 stations. on the top left is a medium passenger station which moves passenger trains to an other medium size passenger station in the lower right.
    On the side track we have a steel factory in the middle and an iron ore mine in the lower left.

There is a tiny Nn3 track for the mine train running into the mountain. And there is a big track for the crane for loading steel.

The medium sized passenger station should be able to handle 2 large passenger cars with locomotive. A small pendel passenger/loc combination will run on the side line.

A maglev will run from the station on the left to an office block on the right. This maglev will be on a upper level, so it will run above the regular line. I have some ideas how this maglev in N scale can be build, but that is an project for later on.

Attached Files:

2. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Looks good takev
    Lots of switching opportunities in this plan.
    Nice to have a large industry like the steel mill
  3. takev

takev Member

Hello Matthyro,

Thanks. Indeed I like the big factory and a mine, but I am also worried about not having anough room for a real town on the left side.
    I think I have anough room on the lower right for a big town.

I will try and make a real dutch like railroad, towns and industry. There isn't much material for it, so I expect to scratch build/kit bash many objects. Anyway, with the maglev there, I can also do a science fiction rail road.

I am really looking forward to light up the town and factory for running the trains at night.
    which is also why I want to run the set with DCC, so the lights on the train stay on.
    Plus I like electronics, so I am going to build the DCC system from scratch.

The maglev would be a very interesting undertaking, altough there are some model maglevs made, I don't know if there is one in N-scale and looks like a real train.

I think I can do something with those super magnets used in the head assembly of a harddisk. and a double row of small electromagnets, with a .... (i forgot the name, but it measures magnetic fields) for negative feedback, which would create a zero magnetic field, which slightly lifts the super magnet above the electromagnets.
    Then using LIM (linear induction motor) I can propel the magnet slowly along the track.
    This is the theory anyway.

Well, I am of watching a movie.

Greetings from Amsterdam,
    Take Vos
  4. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I like that track plan, switching layouts are very interesting. I'm actually changing my layout now to incorperate more switching.

5. takev

takev Member

Switching layouts are indeed interesting, I first had thought of making a loop, but it takes so much room. There aren't many loops in the real world either.

6. hemiadda2d

hemiadda2d Member

But the few loops that exist still carry trains!
    Looks neat!
  7. hemiadda2d

hemiadda2d Member

In the UP Cheyenne yard, exists a still in-use baloon track on the west end of the yard, next to the old C&S (now BNSF)overpass....
    Most western US coal mine loadouts have a large baloon track for loading unit trains....