ok, lets say

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by ntg, May 27, 2005.

1. ntg

ntg New Member

That I want to buy some track and a few cars. Is there one track that better than the other? I have a 2ft wide 4 ft long table to set up on. I know that will probably grow but for now that's what we have to start.

What locos to buy? What cars to buy? I like the looks of the Athearn's. Do they have their own track?

How about buildings and figures? What I need to do is go to the local train shops and let them help me also.

What I think I eventually want to do is some former railroads that were in Omaha at one time. Theres a book at the local library that has a history of railroading in this area.

Thanks for the warm welcome, and I look forward to learning from everybody here!

2. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Do you have a scale in mind? The Athearn reference suggests HO (their N scale line is liited so far.) You can't get a suitable loop in a 2 foot wide table unless you go for streetcars. Well, very small locos and short (36 foot) cars may work.
    I like Peco track, but there are other opinions. I know that Peco will bend down to a 10" radius, which is what you'll need.
    Unless you go for a switching layout, but the 4 feet length is also limiting.
  3. jasbourre

jasbourre Member

Hello Mike

Before you go and buy a bunch of stuff, research, research, research.

- How big will the layout be?

- What gauge are going to go into? N or HO or other!

A suggestion I wish someone would have told me is start with a track layout, and work from there.

There are many good books on layouts, and if you do a search on here, you will find links to small layouts.

As for buildings and figures wait till you have a plan first.

Hope this helps.

4. DWP

DWP Member

5. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

2' X 4' is typical for a module. Check around and see if there is a local modular group you could join, and build a module to their specs. You'd have to use compatible track, and lay it at the right points, and go from there.
    Unless there's a spec on location and style, you could build a scene from the area you'd later be building a layout of, and could encorporate the module into the layout.
  6. ntg

ntg New Member

Andy ,thanks for the info, and DWP, thanks to the link to the NMRA. That was great info and gave me inspiration to build my own bench. Eveyone else, thanks, this sight is great.

7. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

This last statement answers those two questions, I think. But first let me offer another suggestion: Pick a time and a place where you would have liked to live but can't (probably because that era is in the past and that place is different now). Maybe there's a particular part of Omaha that you're fond of.

Pick a favorite railroad and buy locomotives that are representative of what it ran. With cars you can buy a broader assortment, since cars interchanged between lines, but stay in the same era, roughly (keeping in mind that cars linger around for 30 years or more, of course--mixing 1950s and 1970s rolling stock is fine; you won't get away so much with mixing 1920s and 1990s). Steam or diesel? There's a definite (and very different) attraction to both of them. Some people model the 1950s just because it gives an excuse to run both. A lot of steamers have a timeless look to them, but diesels allowed for some great paint schemes.

Buy figures, vehicles, and buildings that fit in with this world you chose. Again, if you're buying 1990s rolling stock, a Ford Model T isn't of much use to you. If you have to explain why something is there, you shouldn't buy it. You have more leeway with buildings, of course. Lots of hundred-year-old buildings still stand. But you might have difficulty explaining a 7-11 on a layout with 1920s trains. Some figures are generic enough that they fit in just about any era. Others definitely suggest an era. For an Omaha layout, I wouldn't buy gangsters. You probably get the idea. The biggest thing to remember is you don't have to buy it all at once. Get a few things to get started, then have fun over time filling in the gaps.