ok lets say i want to come over to the dark side....

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by ozzy, Dec 30, 2007.

1. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

what is the best control system to learn on? MTH DCS or lionel TMCC? can one do more or different things then the other? will they work with a 275 wall MRC transformer?

as of right now im leaning toward the MTH DCS, as i have one MTH protosounds 2 engine already and one on order, i dont have any lionel yet.

but from what i can figure out latter on i can add to the DCS the things to run lionel tmcc right?

what is the basic things i need to control each engine on its own on same track without wiring blocks, or having to have a transformer for each track. im not so worried about running anything like switches for now . just the engines.

is all i need is the MTH 50-1001 remote control system ? or is there more to buy to make it all work?

all this stuff confuses the crap out of me.
  2. dbaker48

dbaker48 Member

Ozzy - To get started, especially since you have 2 PS2 engines. All you need is the hand held remote and a TIU. And your running. In the future you could add the TMCC Command unit w/remote and you can add TMCC to your layout. Youcan still run TMCC with the DCS. (Not the otherway). Legacy could then be added as well.

3. Chief Eagles

Chief Eagles Active Member

I started that way. Not recommended. Too many features on the CAB1 that are not available when running TMCC on DCS remote [lashups being one]. Also, conventionals operate better on a CAB1 with a TPC. Cost wise, porbably DCS. I run both and run them independantly of each other. My track power is fed through my TIU. This allows me to run DCS with DCS remote anytime I want too. The TMCC command base was connected to the common on my buss bars. Now it goes through the Legacy Command base which is connected to the common side of the buss bars. I run DCS with DCS remote and TMCC with CAB1 or Legacy Remote [or both].
  4. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

Chief - it is my understanding that the new DCS software (Rev 4) will fix some of the old problems of running TMCC from DCS.

Ozzy - I agree with Don, as you already have 2 PS2 engines, then start with DCS and add TMCC if you ever get any engines with it. I have had DCS since it came out and am still waiting to by my first TMCC engine. :cry:
  5. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

where can I find out about dcs, tmcc, ps2 . I have no idea what you all are talking about and would like to learn about it
  6. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

7. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

8. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

so is it dcc for the big trains? Is it a mix of dcc and block control? and last but not least do you put decoders in the loco?
  9. Brutus

Brutus Member

Roger, I'm pretty sure that like 95 percent of the MTH engines you can buy today already have protosound 2 onboard, so no addition is required - right guys? They are ready to be run with DCS out of the box. There is no block control required as I understand it - each engine is run independently. Power blocks are still used in order to maintain good power distribution, though.

Lionel makes a lot of conventional locomotives and all of my Lionels are conventional. They can be upgraded with 3rd party circuit boards. TMCC locomotives are more expensive and the RTR sets that have TMCC installed are more $$$. Now that I'm thinking about upgrading to TMCC I'll have to think about upgrading some of those locomotives too. I probably would not upgrade my Polar Express or my Transylvania general and docksider locomotives though, since they are really just run at the holiday and I think can be run as conventional under TMCC too.
  10. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

cool thanks allot guys
  11. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I wonder when we will see a new system in the market place since the Big B now has the Williams line?
  12. Geno

Geno Member

Bachmann will probably put DCC in some scale Williams locos to get into the O gauge command control market. The tie in to the rest of the O gauge market there is that MTH is working on their DCS-DCC interface so that you can control DCC locos too.

13. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I would expect that venture to fail since Bachmann should be able to put out a better DCC system at a much cheaper price if they want to.

Remember when Betamax was a better system but lost out because it was more expensive than VHS. While they did battle with VHS for both running time and quality in the end it was price that doomed the Betamax.

Over a simple thing such as cost the Betamax market share dropped form 100% to 25% in only six year. The cost was the fact that one 8 hr VHS tapes was $5.00 while two 4 hr Beta tapes were $10.00. In only 13 years the Betamax was dead.

Sony, being the first producer to offer their technology, thought it would establish Betamax as the leading format. This kind of lock-in and path dependence is exactly what economists point out as the Betamax weak link.

So in the future will MTH's DCS system be Betamaxed.

I think so. :):mrgreen:
  14. Geno

Geno Member

I don't MTH is worried about selling DCC-DCS systems to more 3-railers- I think they're developing DCC to target the 2-railers who use it. MTH has alot of money already invested in DCS, so the DCC interface will only help to move more DCS units.

As far as DCS' future is concerned, it's only going to get better. Alot of diehard TMCC fans like myself who originally shunned the system are now willing to invest in it, since the majority of DCS issues have now been worked out, and its performance is much better. MTH is also building engines for the 3-rail scale modeler, who wants scale couplers, wheelsets, and fixed pilots- all DCS command controlled. This feature alone made the decision for me to go DCS very easy.

15. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

hey i had a thought,,, is there anyway to convert say a williams engine over to DCS ? like by buying replacement parts for DCS/protosounds 2 and rigging it up in an williams engine?

is so would this end up costing more them buying new mth engines, i have a nice looking williams engine that i like alot.
  16. Chief Eagles

Yes, two ways. 1. buy the upgrade [expensive] 2. buy used engine possibly damaged shell, remove "guts" [expensive]. Buy TMCC kit from Electric RR [a lot cheaper]. Buckeye has converted Williams to TMCC. I Have converted older Lionels to TMCC. I have converted MTH PS1 to TMCC.
  17. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

can i do the same with DCS tho? im trying to stay with one system, i already have PS2 MTH.
  18. Chief Eagles

1 and 2 above. Just very expensive.