Ok, here goes..........

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
hiscopilot said:
He's in bed :sleeping: he's already seen the "real" Thomas. Are you kidding? It was 96degrees and 100% humidity at 4pm on that Sept 11. And he dressed in his Thomas overalls and engineer hat anyway. He's somewhat fanatical/

So are Railfans (like RR man:D )

hiscopilot

Dec 27, 2006
Spring Hill, TN
I think this is the "real" thomas:
east_somerset_rail_019.jpg

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I believe that Thomas was based on a Southern Eailway E class tank -- that is what Hornby used as the basis for their Thomas.
I hope none of the kids are disappointed when they see Emily (is this the Hornby version that's coming?) as the model is made from a quite different engine from the TV series.
If you have the original Thomas books, the locos can vary quite a bit. Awdry had great difficulty with the artists that the publishers assigned him -- one even refused to go to the station to see what they looked like.
Interesting read: The Thomas the Tank Engine Man, a biography of Awdry. Probably 10 years old now.

hiscopilot

Dec 27, 2006
Spring Hill, TN
oooooooh. I read in the character gallery, "Thomas is a cheeky, but helpful 0-6-0 tank engine from the LB & SCR Railway in Southern England. " Thats why I picked the engine above.

We're talking about the bachmann one coming out- EMily

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Right railway, at least! The photo is of a Terrier clas (or Rooter). They were almost the smallest 6-wheel tank engines in Britain. They were also one of the longest-lasting classes, starting somewhere around 1880 and lasting until the end of steam in the 1960s.
If you have the books, Stepney, the Bluebell Engine is a terrier.

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
60103 said:
I believe that Thomas was based on a Southern Eailway E class tank -- that is what Hornby used as the basis for their Thomas.
I hope none of the kids are disappointed when they see Emily (is this the Hornby version that's coming?) as the model is made from a quite different engine from the TV series.
If you have the original Thomas books, the locos can vary quite a bit. Awdry had great difficulty with the artists that the publishers assigned him -- one even refused to go to the station to see what they looked like.
Interesting read: The Thomas the Tank Engine Man, a biography of Awdry. Probably 10 years old now.

One of his artists when Rev. Awdry was making the books actualy quit on the job over an argument over percy's paint jobsign1 the Artist called him "a catapilar with red stripes", while some years later, that exact same phraze was used by thomas to insult Percy in one of their quarles:D

hiscopilot

Dec 27, 2006
Spring Hill, TN
CNW- that is ENTIRELY too much trivia for me! LOL

Its funny I can talk to grown people about Thomas. Helps me break out of my world a little! :)

Yes, we will be saving for Edward and Mavis. I just wish I knew when they were coming!

Oh and today I started my roundhouse project. We decided to scrap the idea of making it like any other and we are just flying blind so to speak. We're making the measurements and all, but we'll design our own walls and we're not doing doors for this project- just doorways. :) If I get anywhere after the lil bugger goes to bed I will post pictures but right now it looks like a big piece of painted plastic with some wooden doohickeys on it! LOL

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
aparently they will be comfirmed Febuary in the Catalog for 2007. I'll gladly wait, as long as I can replace the couplers:D In the mean time, I like insulting spamers here!:D (that's a wrning to spamers, by the way)

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
One note of caution with the trackplan...the outer tracks are dangerously close to the edge. If you can build in a safety zone of scenery or maybe remove the outer loop then your engines won't have to be as frightened of falling off the edge of the world!

(Wouldn't that be an interesting episode...maybe a Thomas & Friends production outtakes show for all the devoted & deranged parent fans out there...myself included).

Otherwise, looks great so far! Have fun and thanks for sharing with the rest of us!

Galen

hiscopilot

Dec 27, 2006
Spring Hill, TN
you're right about that. I am already having to rethink part of this because even though the layout says 8x4 its really 8x4-9. But I think I can tighten things up a little, these engines seem to be able to take very tight curves, so maybe that will help!

Thanks for the heads up!

holdenburg

Dec 29, 2006
Florida
www.nettechonline.net
Break out the dry wall!

hiscopilot said:
you're right about that. I am already having to rethink part of this because even though the layout says 8x4 its really 8x4-9. But I think I can tighten things up a little, these engines seem to be able to take very tight curves, so maybe that will help!

Thanks for the heads up!

Just break out the drywall into the next room and install a curio cabinet. You can watch the trains go by while drinking your morning cup of coffee! (just joking!!!) sign1

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
ocalicreek said:
One note of caution with the trackplan...the outer tracks are dangerously close to the edge. If you can build in a safety zone of scenery or maybe remove the outer loop then your engines won't have to be as frightened of falling off the edge of the world!

(Wouldn't that be an interesting episode...maybe a Thomas & Friends production outtakes show for all the devoted & deranged parent fans out there...myself included).

Otherwise, looks great so far! Have fun and thanks for sharing with the rest of us!

Galen

Do you have room to add a 6 inch shelf of scenery to the outside of the railroad all the way around? As far as tightening it up, I think the Thomas & friends will operate fine at least down to 15 inch radius in ho. I know most 4 axle diesels will also handle radii down to 15 inch as well.