OK, cross you fingers all, here goes nothing!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PaperRonin, Sep 23, 2008.

1. PaperRonin

PaperRonin Member

I had an idea today... That idea led me to the info below:

If you would like to copy, reprint or in any way reproduce all or any part, including illustrations, diagrams, and graphics, of a book published by Kodansha International, you must obtain permission.

The following mail was then send to the company and to the author of the model (Bold text was added):

I recently obtained a copy of the above mentioned book trough EBay.
    Since it's a shame to cut it up, I intend to scan and print the parts on card stock.

I believe you are the creator/owner of this model?

Now there's the question. I am a member of a very active community of paper modellers. Since this model book is out of print (and out of stock all over the globe) I would like to inquire if I can share the scans I intend to make with my fellow modellers, free offcourse, I do noy intend to make any money from it. Or, maybe I can get the digital form from you? That would even be more awesome!!

I'm pretty sure there would be an explosion of paper xxxxxxxxxxx flooding the world if it's okay.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Paperronin / Richard

Now what could that be??? :twisted: If this work, we all be happy campers!!! :thumb:

I'll keep you posted on the (hopefully positive) replies!
  2. okay so what is actually in this book?? you didnt say
  3. PaperRonin

PaperRonin Member

No I didn't :mrgreen:

Maybe to trigger curiousity? :p

Ok, a hint:

It's 146 pages and needs mirror card to build...
  4. zealousy

zealousy Member

aaaahhhhh...blessed curiosity :) May the designer dawn upon you LOL :)
  5. PaperRonin

PaperRonin Member

Giving in.... a bit more :D

There is a build thread of this model in Zealot ;)
    Further, it's a 1:2 scale 'prop' most sci-fi lovers would sell i kidney for (i think).
  6. Texman

Texman Guest

7. yeah i say terminator of its something to do with a cylon
  8. PaperRonin

PaperRonin Member

Yah, it's the T2 T800 Endoskeleton model book :D
    If this works, I'll try some more models from them as well :D :D
  9. PaperRonin

PaperRonin Member

OK, here's the whole over-elaborated reply from the author! Guess he's really happy that people are enjoying his hard work, pay way too much money for it and than even go as far as contact them to ask a question about it:

Guess he is having his period...
  10. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

It is *not* a crime to scan it for you own purposes. Furthermore, he cannot sue you for damages if there is no damage to begin with.
  11. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I think the sun will burn out before you get a digital copy from the author or print company.
  12. PaperRonin

PaperRonin Member

O well, all hope is not lost... Below the initial response from the publisher:

Dear PaperRonin,
    In response to your email of yesterday, I’d like to direct you to our parent company, Kodansha Ltd., who published the Paper Model Terminator 2 (ISBN-13: 978-4063645996):

Kodansha Ltd.
    Foreign Rights Department
    12-21, Otowa 2-chome
    Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 112-8001

Tel: +81 3 5395 3577
    Fax: +81 3 3944 9915

Sincerely yours,
    Ayako Akaogi
  13. but dosent the original designer own copyright for it so the publisher cant do anything sorry if im wrong but i just thought thats how it goes but the author seems like a very nice man. (bet he has loads of friends)
  14. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Technically he sold the design to the publisher when he accepted the check. It's just like in the GK model industry: a master is made and the pattern maker owns it. When he sells it to the caster he relinquishes rights to it. Since this artist had sold the design to the company, through a commission, he doesn't have control of it any more.
  15. SteveM

SteveM Member

Not necessarily, depends on the contract with the publisher whether he retains copyright or passes it to the publisher.
  16. 57townsman

57townsman Member

That's a little harsh don't you think? After all, you're asking him if you can give away for free something that is bringing him income. He is probably lumping you in with the others who have scanned and distributed this already.

17. PaperRonin

PaperRonin Member

And thats the whole reason why I asked the publisher ;)

By the way, the author seemingly has a very limited knowledge of the english language. We have more mails over and forth, but he asked me if I could write in Japanese. (Which I can't unfortunately)
  18. PaperRonin

PaperRonin Member

It's harsh, yes. So was his intial reply. My own state at that moment kind of directed the 'period' remark wall1

By the way, I am asking him if he would like to cooperate creating the possibility to have the whole community enjoy his design. The model is from 2004, is out of print, out of stock and overpriced on EBay. Furthermore it's not up for a reprint a.t.m.

Discussing some other options with him now...
  19. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

If the book is out of print, and no reprints are planned, then the authoer does not stand to make a penny from his design again. The reselling on E-Bay, no matter what the cost, isn't going to make anyone involved with the production or design of the model anything. Unless, of course, they have stocks ferreted away that they are drip-feeding through E-Bay at inflated prices!

Most likely, the author is concerned about piracy, the publisher likewise. If they have it in electronic format, it would make more sense to encourage them to distribute it electronically to the modelling public and make some cash themselves, rather than allowing E-Bay sharks to push prices up for kits that would then become an 'investment' rather than something to make and enjoy. Then the collectors can buy their books on E-Bay, and the builders can buy it purely to print out and build.

Even the author would get a bit of a royalty that way provided he did not sell his rights completely! Worth suggesting if you have a dialogue going with the publisher.
  20. PaperRonin

PaperRonin Member

Excactly what I'm suggesting him to do!

He made some mighty fine papercraft and it would be a shame to see that go to waste...