OJIMAK gliders.

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Nothing, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

i just started building these for my son. so i decided to show them and let yall know which ones fly good.

first one was the mirrage 2000. looks great and flys real good!
    sc 001.jpg

the second one is the F22. difficult to assemble and does not fly very well at all.
    sc 002.jpg
    (after numerous attempts to get it to fly!)
  2. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

t45 gosshawk- flies decent. i had to add ballest to the rear. have to constantlly fiddle with the wings to keep it flying straight.
  3. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Been thinking about building some of these for a while now, just got to find time to fit them in.

I saw a Mirage 2000 at the RAF Waddington air show last year, AMAZING display. The pilot got best in show.
  4. cmags

cmags Guest

Those are looking pretty good. I recently downloaded the collection - there's a few in there I want to build. What weight paper are you using?

On a side note, does anyone know how to determine the weight of paper? I *think* I'm using 110lb cardstock but I really don't know. And I don't know how that translates to the metric weights...
  5. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

i use 60lbs paper. the package states it so i dont know how to convert metric. i cant read the japanese writing so i dont know what ojimak reccomends. i should note that these can be built in as little as an hour. my boys love them.

one thing i dont like about US airshows (at least the ones near me) there are rarely any foreign airplanes shown. (outside of WWII) and im sure the anti american crowd here will have something to say about that.
  6. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

We didn't get many US guys over here at Waddington. Had a E-3 and KC-10 last year and a B1 a few years ago. Shame, I saw the Blue angels display at RAF Finningley in the early 90's, now that was good.
  7. Renaud

Renaud Member

Flyng gliders

I could make sure, after having built most of Suzuki'planes, that for indoor flight, the ratio weight / overall area must not be over 10 grams per dm2, that is 0.12 Ib per 100 sq inch for indoor flight. More for outdoor. And you have to check the balance weight as well as the shape of the main wings, to twist up or down, until you get a perfect straight flight. Oddly, Suzuki's F22 was unstable too, bending left and right all flight long, most of the time, on the contrary of others planes, all from the same designer.
    Calculate, more or less, the overall area of the plane, what you call the flash area I guess, to estimate the weight your plane must not exceed, and don't forget to strengten at least the nose especially, by soaking it with polyurethane varnish for example, this add weight a little and needs adjusting the balance weight further on. To fly them outside, I apply a thin coat of this varnish on all the surface, to prevent it from being wasted quickly, either by hard grounds or wet grass.
    I tryied putting toy ballons inside to make them as real jets, but they are too small for that purpose. Moreover, the air escapes entirely as soon as you drop your plane, this on larger planes I built to see what could happen. Sure, I had to adjust the escapement hole to make the air remaining some more time inside, but this seems tricky, as it must be done according to the estimate duration flight.... it needs probably a lot of trials.
  8. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

this past summer i was able to get close to the X_35
    tt 028.jpg
    tt 030.jpg

and had front row seats for the Blue Angels. definately a thrill!
    tt 071.jpg
    tt 073.jpg
  9. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

F-35, WOOOO. Thats one jet I looking forward to see flying, well, I've seen it on the TV, but I'd love to see it live.
  10. Paladin

Paladin Member

I have built several of his planes, mostly for display, but I have built the Rafale-B, and the Jas-39. The Rafale flies very nicely. I gave it to a friends little boy at church, and he loves it. I reinforced the little "launch hook" where the rubber band hooks on, and it flies very fast. You could probably kill someone with it?!?:eek::twisted:

The Jas-39 flies pretty good too, but not nearly as nice as the Rafale. Honestly though, I often build his planes because they are so simple, and if you don't fold all the "crease" lines, and curve the angles instead, the planes come out really nice. I built one of the F-4 Phantoms, and it looks terrific.