Oil Tanker model ships ?

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by Mark_1984, May 15, 2007.

1. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Has anybody come across any model oil tankers. Preferable ones operated by BP, but I guess that I'm being extremely optimistic there !!

2. korvette

korvette Member

3. allhallowseve

allhallowseve Member

i'll take that "BP" is new company ... i seen stuff on tv for it.. but the no gas station around this area yet . Were i live they want to bring "LNG" the city stoping it from coming here... do to the fact the many people live right in back on the station it would dock at !! If something happen it would blow half the city up
  4. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Thanks Korvette - it's an impressive model - but a bit ambitious. I was after something a bit simpler ;) (fussy so-n-so aren't I :p)

Hi Allhallowseve - BP is actually a very old company, but they re-branded a few years ago, changing from British Petroleum to just BP. I think it's because they were getting bigger in the States, and wanted to drop the 'British' :confused: and have a more global image.......
  5. korvette

korvette Member

Hi Mark,

don´t mind, but this model was made for absolute beginners, espacially for new ship engineers to learn something about ship construction principles. There are a lot of simplified parts with the model and you can choose between 4 versions. For the experienced modeller, we offer detailed parts (like winches) for free in our download section on kartonbau.de.

6. charliec

charliec Active Member

Maybe new for the US but BP (British Petroleum) has been operating around the rest of the world for nearly a century.

7. TexasTubaMan

TexasTubaMan Member

if you love ironly you'll love this. As most big cities do here in the US, Houston has a large 4th of July fireworks show. And as everything nowdays, some company has to buy rights to be the sponsor. A few years ago, the big celebration in Houston was sponsored by BP. I remember the first time an ad come on advertising the festival, I almost rolled laughing.
  8. David H

David H Member

I have a hazy recollection that BP became a government concern when the lords at the Admiralty decided that the Royal Navy would be a navy with oil fuelled steam turbines in the early 20th century.

Any historians confirm this? Or will I google it myself?

9. David H

David H Member

Oh, fantastic ship BTW!

10. Prezes

Prezes New Member

Hi I'm the new on this forum, and I too looking for paper oiltankers ships or chemicaltransporters. Mayby someone know where in the web I can find plans of that type of ships? Or mayby someone have plans of Tanker T2 from WW2 ?

Oh and know mayby anybody how is named in real tms searout?? Becous I think thas name tms seatrout create author of model becaouse nowhere in internet i found pictures and information about that ship.....
    Thank's for help ;)

and sorry for my english, but last time I didn't use it ;)
  11. Bernhard

Bernhard Member

I am not a historian but BP started 1903 as "Anglo Persian Oil Company" (see link Anglo-Persian Oil Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). And the British government became very possessive of "their" Persian crude. The availability of dirt cheap oil made it possible to switch fuel for the navy from dirty laborious coal to clean and easy oil. Once the navy depended on oil, control over the Persian oil became a strategic necessity for the British.

12. Bernhard

Bernhard Member

Hi Prezes

The ship's name is indeed "Seatrout" (see for example: SEATROUT )
    I think, TMS is not really part of the name but stands for "Tanker Motor Ship".

13. Bernhard

Bernhard Member

"Wilhelmshavener Modell" has 4 post-world war II tankers in its program (see Welcome ):
    Friedrich Jung, Esso Düsseldorf, Olympic Mountain, Lieselotte Essberger

Some of these models might be available at a vendor in your part of the world.
    I am afraid none of these models depicts a BP tanker.

14. Prezes

Prezes New Member

Thank's Bernhard for your reply. Mayby someone have some links to websites with oil tankers plans (because in my technical university, i can't get anything)?? Because I wan't built some ship...
  15. archangel1

archangel1 Member

JSC has at least 4 in 1/400 scale. No BP though.

JSC 006 - Scharnhorst with Oilship 4
    JSC 051 - Z32 Destroyer, depot ship 'Bolkoburg' and tanker 'Blexen'
    JSC 054 - Tanker 'Zelos' (Sweden) or 'Zawrat' (Poland)
    JSC 070 - Polish tanker 'Karpaty' (ex 'Adria')

Hope this helps.

Mike :wave:
  16. Prezes

Prezes New Member

Archangel, with models from JSC are few problems, first their models are projecting only above water line, and second models in scale 1:400 are to small :( -> but I like big model's but i dont have enought time to rescale model and project more element's because this models are poor. Mayby when I end Univers. of Techn. I will do it :D

NULLMOON Member

i wouldnt mind seeing a model of some of the more famous tankers like the exxon valdez or the torrey canyon or this monster even in 1/400 thats gonna be big 1,504 ft long in life

Attached Files:

18. Prezes

Prezes New Member

His Kaptain is Wiktor Bąk from POLAND :D he have 458m long and his DWT = 647 955 tons

NULLMOON Member

you learn something everyday ..love the avatar btw :thumb:
  20. charles269

charles269 New Member

Within the last year I found a Revell oil tanker called the Glasgow in 1:400 scale. I believe it is a re-release of an older kit. It was an Esso tanker, but I would think it to be very similar if not identical to tankers used by other companies.
    Good luck,