Oh My God No!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FlareBaffled, Mar 31, 2008.

1. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

That's basically what I do with the 80 gig. I just go through it and get what I need and delete all of the crap files that accumulate and save what I need to disk, the thing is, when this happened I was in the middle of a back-up. Whoot! I can recover most of what I lost, but it's still a pain in the keister. Another thing is that I share so much of my information with others and post a great deal on three different photo sites, so I save a lot that way. It's just the whole re-installation process and getting everything the way you like it.

I tried the seagate utility, but apparently there's a fee for the full version, so I've got a call into Seagate. It seems though that a lot of what was on the HD is not recoverable, or is corrupt.:cry: that doesn't mean that I don't have back up copies for most of it. I guess it's just part of the whole internet thing. Some people have nothing better to do than cause trouble and trash other peoples work. Just once I'd like to get my hands around the neck of a hacker.:curse:
  2. Trekcreations

Trekcreations EnterpriseCreations

Sometimes recovery can be expensive. A raid configuration is best to protect vital data.
  3. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

backing stuff up to CD/DVD every so often doesn't hurt either, and comes with a lot less hassle and cost than a RAID setup.
  4. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

True. I was actually in the middle of backing up when I got a squirrelly message from Xp, saying that my updates were ready, but I had the auto updates off. After that, I get a message from Firefox telling me that updates were ready. As soon as I got the updates, my AV program told me I had a trojan. I got rid of the trojan and two others pop up!?!?! I get rid of them and reboot the computer and the next thing you know I've got more troubles. My AV program tracks every attempt of another computer trying to access ports etc.... So, I get a dozen messagees telling me that all of these computers are trying to access my computer through illicit means. That's when I hut down the computer and pulled the HD. I hooked it up as a slave to my other computer and recovered most of the data, but when I tried to do a system restore my drivers got knocked out and the damage was done.
    I saved most of the HD data, but I still lost some key things. It was a very selective thing. I got real suspicious and sent a copy of the log to my AV software company to see if they can track the virus back to a specific IP.
    Mybe they can make sense of it...???wall1:curse::cry:
  5. Kjev

Kjev Member

A note for all those regarding backup:

Flare knows this story, so I'll keep it short.

In December I backed up all my paper models. I had quite the collection too, as I collect paper wargames terrain as well as ships and so forth.

February 20, my house blew up due to a propane leak. Not only did it explode, it then caught fire (fortunately my wife was able to get herself and my son out, and a brave sheriff's deputy pulled me out). I spent two weeks in an intensive care burn unit.

My computer had the back melted off of it. At this point I have no idea if the hard drive is salvageable or not.

I kept my backup with all my others disks, in a bookshelf next to my computer. I've heard rumors that someone gathered them up, but I have not seen them, or know what survived.

The morals of this story: Back it up, and KEEP IT OFF SITE! Or at least in a fireproof box.

Maxtor makes a 1-touch external hard drive that makes backing things up and keeping the backup elsewhere a cinch. There are also online services that can store everything then restore it over the internet.
  6. greenelf1967

greenelf1967 Member

surely you can use something like hirens boot disk, this has quite a lot of applications which deal with this problem, i have used it many a time.
  7. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Wow! That's a horrible story, so glad that everyone got out OK.

Yeah, there are ways to save data. I was in Best Buy the other day with the little woman and thought very seriously about getting an external drive. The only reason I didn't is that I was more concerned with getting a back up internal drive at the and and theyonly had very large and expensive external drives.

Your story does prove one thing though, there is no way to protect against every contingency.

Best of luck to you, your wife and family.
  8. Trekcreations

Yes, backing up to a DVD is less of a hassle, and will do the job, but does not replace the advantages of a raid set up. And HDD are relatively inexpensive today. Although I do not want to give the impression that a raid array is readily cheap.

A firewire solution is also much better than a DVD backup plan. Data written to a DVD can easily be lost.

On another note, the first step in protecting your PC against attacks is to get rid of Norton or Mcafee. Then install a product that actually does offer full protection. Try Panda or Kaspersky.
  9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

What typical home user has the resources to set up a true raid system in their home machine?

500 GB external drive $120. Cobian backup software free. Daily or weekly or monthly backups that are automated - priceless :)

You can of course go smaller hard drive for like 70 bucks if needed :D

Also I would suggest AVG antivirus (free) and zone alarm free firewall. Its what the antivirus team and security teams in our fortune 500 company use at home :D Agreed that Norton and Mcafee totally suck.
  10. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

I pick up all my back-up externals at Newegg. I think they have some of the best prices. Another option would be to back-up files on-line. Check out HUMYO.COM. They are the best in the land.
  11. Trekcreations

Resources......Or knowledge? Although I agree that a RAID set up is not for your average home user.

For folks who truly want to back up important information, and need a secure reliable way, a RAID set up is priceless.

Agreed :) For the average home user this is the way to go. Although if this is the method of choice yo will not want to skimp on the software.

AVG's free AV software is OK. It does a good job of catching bots and zombies. It does a poor job of detecting trojans, worms, and back door programs, and a poorer job of detecting spyware. However, with almost all AV software, you will need another level of protection against spyware. Since we are talking free, Spybot, and spyware blaster are a must.

Install a top notch AV program and will see first hand at what free AVG misses.

Panda AV software can be purchased readily cheap from overstock companies on the web. Free AVG will never offer the level of protection that Panda or Kasperky can.

With this said, I am sure a MAC looks quite inviting right now :)
  12. Switched

Switched Recidivist

RAID isn't a backup system. It offers increased availability, allowing downtime to be scheduled to a more convenient time. RAID won't protect against stupidity, viruses, fires, theft, etc. An offsite copy of your data will. :thumb:
  13. Trekcreations

Of course it is. It is a means to store data. Although it is not the only means of BU.

Agreed, which is why we have been discussing AV software choices. A good RAID set up will function in such a way that no single-disk failure can destroy the archive. And when you replace the failed drive it automatically rebuilds the data that was on that section of the RAID.

None of this matters though if steps are not taken to protect your data. Regardless of back up choice.
  14. Switched

Switched Recidivist

I think you might be misunderstanding what a backup is all about. What you are saying about problem prevention is fine.

I'll quote from Wikipedia's Backup page as it says more eloquently than I can.

In information technology, backup refers to making copies of data so that these additional copies may be used to restore the original after a data loss event. These additional copies are typically called "backups." Backups are useful primarily for two purposes. The first is to restore a state following a disaster (called disaster recovery). The second is to restore small numbers of files after they have been accidentally deleted or corrupted.[1] Backups are typically that last line of defense against data loss, and consequently the least granular and the least convenient to use.

Due to a considerable overlap in technology, backups and backup systems are frequently confused with archives and fault-tolerant systems. Backups differ from archives in the sense that archives are the primary copy of data and backups are a secondary copy of data. Backup systems differ from fault-tolerant systems in the sense that backup systems assume that a fault will cause a data loss event and fault-tolerant systems assume a fault will not.

15. Trekcreations

As an IT admin, I understand backups quite well, often having to design them.

A RAID array backs up data (or stores data) across multiple drives. An array of drives appears to the computer as a single logical storage unit or drive. Thus if one fails, there is always a back up (or storage) of your data that can be used to rebuild the failed drive. And disk arrays can be made fault-tolerant by redundantly storing information in various ways.

In my office, the RAID arrays are as well backed up off site. However, because that data is stored on multiple drives, for a catastrophic event to happen, all drives on the array would have to fail.

I do believe though that I gave the impression that RAID is a fail safe or end all for back ups. It is not. And the more I think of it, the more I agree that for average use, a RAID array is not the answer.
  16. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

My job title - Machine services bureau storage services senior technologist. A redundant array of independent disks is not technically a backup. it does however offer data protection. Depending on the setup you can lose one or two disks in an array and recover the data by inserting new drives to replace the bad drives. A backup is data copied to an alternate location purely for the purposes of recovery (i.e. static). That data should be able to be restored at any given time to any given location. There is more to it than that of course but alas time is short :)
  17. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Oh yes - I missed the post about spyware - totally agree with that! You defintely need MORE than one spyware search and destroy type app :)
  18. Trekcreations

Very good explanation :)

I do believe that we simply have a snag in terminology, or use there of. By your explanation than I would agree that a RAID array is not a system used purely for back up. However, it incorporates a system in which data is stored (backed up) on multiple drives. In order to lose that data, a catastrophic event will have had to occur that causes the global failure of all drives on the array. Otherwise, your data is well protected in such a back up (storage) configuration. And I do as well back up that data off site here in the office as well. Can't be too over protective with data :)
  19. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Just an FYI, I had my system hacked again and had my HD crashed, however, I do have a record of who did it, their Subnet mask, IP address and personal information. According to my software, after the last round of bugs I had several hack attempts that tried to gain access to my computer through using malware prompts. They were trying to gain access through a mallware exploit. The servers were Sasser server in and Dabber in. Also, I had someone from another IP attempt to load "My Doom" onto my computer from an unsercure server. You know who you are.

Before my computer crashed I was able to send the log to my ISP. My ISP has documented the times, dates, attempts, servers and individuals. They informed me that I need to turn the info over to the Feds and Homeland security, because it is the equivalent of internet terrorism.

If you are reading this, I just have to ask.... "What's worth a trip to a Federal Penetentiary?"

I can't wait to see the results of this investigation. I have an idea concerning the Sasser server, but I'm waiting to find out more on Dabber and the "My Doom" guy.

Back online in 2 days and anxiously waiting for the results of the from the ISP.

Keep on Trekkin!:curse:
  20. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Each and every one of those is a fairly well known virus or trojan. What antivirus, firewall and spyware are you using? Also are you keeping it up to date? Traces on them will really do no good. (typically) they spread from other peoples computers that do not know they have it. Six degrees of Kevin Bacon kinda thing.