Oh My God No!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FlareBaffled, Mar 31, 2008.

1. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

It's a disaster. It's a tragedy. It's all my fault:curse:

Upgraded the PC, and put in the intended driver for windows. Wiped it, and installed the OS. Then I realised I had left ALL the work on Discovery, The Saladin AND the ISD on that drive. They were not backed up, they were not saved elsewhere.

Now they are gone. All gone.

Could have been worse....all the Warhammer stuff was on my memory stick.... where the other stuff was supposed to be too!

I need a drink. A large one.

On the plus side..... the PC is running great wall1 wall1 wall1 wall1 wall1
  2. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

Hey Flare! I am companion in his pain. In January I lost 40 Gb in a new HD that it simply burned without apparent explanation. He had many models in stages of advanced finish. The best is to redo everything again...
  3. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I've been meaning to burn all my paper models to a DVD. I think this is the reminder I need to do that. Glad your PC is working better!
  4. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Quad core CPU and 4Gb of RAM will pep up any PC!

Once I finish re-installing all the essentials, I will have to start afresh with the projects I had in the pipeline.
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

technically those files are still on your drive. Unless you zero filled the drive all you did was either blew away the MBR or installed the OS over top. There are utilities that can be used to fish out files on what was thought to be a wiped system. My friend used to do forensics for an accounting firm... he had stuff that could pull files from a wiped and zero'd drive. I was amazed.
  6. widget

widget Member

Don't feel too bad. I just mindwiped my other computer after saving all my files that I wanted to keep. BUT,I was dumb enough to not copy the FRAKING DRIVERS FOR THE ENTIRE SYSTEM !!

Of course ,I DON'T have the disks that came with that idiot box.

It just sits there humming happily to itself.
  7. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

--Every model onto flash drive right now! That did happen to my J10 and I admit it was a real disaster...
  8. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Easy Recovery Pro and a whole host of other apps will do what Stev0 is talking about. I recently recovered 16 GB of lost digital photos from my girfriends PC over 6 months after she'd formatted and reinstalled XP.

Depending where they were located on the HD, there is a very good chance you can get it all back. Easy recovery won't do it with the free version (it'll find your files, show them to you then ask you to pay if you want them back) and I'm not familiar with a free program that'll do it for you but it sure won't hurt to look into it.

Edit: The most recent app I used was actually from seagate, a free download. It's for seagate drives but should work just as well on other HD's.

Seagate File Recovery for Windows v2.0 from Seagate Technology
  9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

got my fingers crossed for ya bud....
  10. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

The worst driver to lose ever ... a network card driver. Without that your basically screwed. Because if you deleted everything ... at least a network card driver gives you internet and internet gives you search capability for system drivers.
  11. aphelion16

aphelion16 Member

After the sudden death of my HD, and a two year hunt, I have almost all my models recovered.
    Copies of which now reside on a memory stick AND an external HD.
    Life can be a merciless teacher sometimes.
  12. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Thanks foir the support guys!

I will try those file recovery tools ASAP. If I can only recover the Discovery ...and my archive of 3D meshes ... and my reference pics ...and maybe all those favourites I had ... then I will be a happy bunny! 90% of what was on there was replacable or junk ... but that 10% will be worth the trouble if I can get it back!

Failing that, I got a couple of weeks holiday coming up, and after that I start some NEW projects.
  13. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Wow. Sounds like this is going around. I've been fighting two computers for a week. Sorry for your loss Flare, I feel your pain.

What if you dismounted the HD and formatted it several times? I kept trying to re-install and was getting some weird errors, so I hooked this HD up as a slave to another unit and dismounted and F-matted several times, then I fornatted it again when installing the OS. I lost a bunch, but I think I can recover 85-90%.

Still, I'd like to get the files I lost to regenerate.

Frakkin Bugs!
  14. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

theoretically you could format 100 times and still recover the data, as long as no data (or zeroes!) have been written to the sectors on the drive where the data once was.

Every time I do this for someone who never knew it could be done I am met with looks of complete amazement and instantly elevated to hero status. :D
  15. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Looks like I have not been so lucky.

I have got the filesw to recover OK, but the PDO files and the model files I built them from have got corrupted. They will not open in the applications that created them.It recognises the file details, so the headxer parts must be OK... but when I recover the file, it just won't open with anything.

Seems to have worked OK with file types that the program 'knows' but I can't get it to recognise LWO, 3DS or PDO files in any way that actually helps. I was able to view the textures after I had recovered them. Could it be something I am doing wrong?

The Seagate utility works to scan it in the free versions...but you need a serial to unlock the recover function. I ..ahem...'found' one, and recovered the data.
  16. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Well, believe me, if I can get my sys files back you'll be a hero to me!:thumb:
  17. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

I'm going to try the seagate utility, I just happen to have a seagate I'm trying to recover. I have another 80 gig drive that I was using as a slave, so once I have my files recovered and all of the AV definitions uploaded I'll be able to recover my files from that. Still, it will be a week, or two before I can actually get back to work on anything as I have a lot to organize and some utilities to restore. What a pain. Thanks Jaffro for the link.
  18. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

If you work anything out let us know. If I can help I'll do my best, but I have to get my sys squared away first.
  19. Trekcreations

Trekcreations EnterpriseCreations

As an IT administrator, I can say this is 100 percent correct. All data is recoverable to an extent with recovery software. It's not always easy, but not impossible.
  20. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I purchased a 500G hard drive only for storage. That way if the computer blows up I can jsut pull the hard drive.