Off the tracks

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
What other hobbies do you all have apart from Model Railroads.
I myself use a computer program called CAKEWALK PROFESSIONAL AUDIO 9 to writemusic into it. I have to date written over 100 full (20 piece) Orchestrations into it and play them back through my Multi-Media Surround speaker system.
I get hold of the full scores and just copy the notes into the program.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
cool.gif
Other interests? AFL football. Australian Rules, that is. Best spectator sport in the world! CAR'N THE SWANNIES!
http://www.afl.com.au
Few bits of triv:
Highest per-capita attendance of any sport in the world.
You can kick behinds!
There is a common enemy.... the umpire...
It's played on a field 5 times the area of soccer of US football. There are no specific dimensions, so long as it's big and round. (no corners)
There are no "set plays".
No "armour" is worn.
Women love it because of the tight shorts, and skimpy tops worn.
1 goal - 6 points.
1 behind - 1 point.
Have a watch, and check out the goal umpire brag about the size of his appendage every time a goal is kicked!

US TV time
USA
Fox Sports World - US Foster's Aussie Rules 50 min. Highlights Program Fridays 4pm US Eastern (1pm US Pacific).
Foster's Aussie Rules 2hr. Match of the Round Program Thursdays 11pm US Eastern (8pm US Pacific). Repeated Fridays 5pm US Eastern (2pm US Pacific).
WNVC Foster's Aussie Rules 50 min. Highlights Program. Foster's Aussie Rules 2hr. Match of the Round Program Thursdays 9pm (US Eastern) starting 12th April. Mondays 9pm (US Eastern)starting 9th April. GF Replay 2nd April.

United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Channel Islands
B-Sky-B Foster's Aussie Rules 98min. Match of the Round EP 1 Sky Sports 3 - 7 Apr 12pm. EP 2 - SkyS Extra 14 Apr 3pm. Ep 3 - SkyS2 22 Apr 12pm. Ep 4 - SkyS2 27 Apr 6.30pm. Ep 5 - SkyS3 4 May 6.30pm. Ep6 - SkyS3 12 May 12.30pm. Ep 7 - SkyS Extra 19 May 12.30pm. Ep 8 - SkyS3 27 May 12.30pm. Ep 9 - SkyS3 2 June 12.30pm. Ep 10 - SkyS2 9 June 12pm. Ep 11 - SkyS3 15 June 8.30pm. Ep 12 - SkyS3 24 June 10am. Ep 13 - SkyS2 30 June 1pm. Check local guides for times for repeats.
Channel 5 Foster's Aussie Rules 50min. Highlights Program Thursdays 4.30am

TOOT!

Shay2

Feb 12, 2001
Ohio, USA
trainster.20m.com
Now this is an interesting question.

Well, Shamus, I enjoy restoration of antique furniture and If I do say so myself I have the best looking Rose's for miles around.

I've been into Woodworking and building things since my Grandfather, a cabinet maker, placed a sharp chisel in my hand at age 7.

Gardening, I guess that began with my first home and has progressed to about 70 Rose bush's in my present location.

Rich

------------------
Rush Run River Logging Co.

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Hmmm...
Myself I stray far from the hobby. I build Automobile kits and Robot kits (recent board discussion
wink.gif
). Then there's watching the nuts in their 4x4's (I'm one too). Guess you could say if it's got wheels and a motor I'm there. More Power!!! AAAARRRRAAARRRR! Toolman Tim Taylor Rules!

George

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
Though not as avidly as years past, philately used to come in first. Philately is compact, engrossing and I used to get a great deal of pleasure out of it.

Outside of that, motor sport, especially Formula One and NASCAR when there's time to see a race.

Once you have kids, that's where the time goes. I wish I could sleep for a hobby but that's not going to happen.

And Woodie, I have to give it to you. Aussie rules football is truly the balls! When we get it here, it's truly one of the few games that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

American "football" is the stupidest game I've ever been forced to play in school. Too much start and stop requiring no brains. It's a game that usually revolves around three large jerks per team who never grow up, with everyone else serving as fodder for their glory. You can accurately summize that I have a dim view of jocks in our society because of it.

George.

LC

Apr 5, 2001
Visit site
Other intrests?
Don't know if I would really consider the mainline steam I work on as an "outside"
intrest or not.
I hunt, big game only.
Fish whenever I can.
Shoot both shoulder arms and handguns in combat police matches. (now you know my profession)
practice a lot of shooting, and do re-loading.
I also enjoy my garden in the summer months.
As for T.V. I watch the history chanel, A&E,
T.L.C., and anything to do with history. I watch the N.H.L. games as much possible.
Being single, dating is also at the top, if not the number one thing.(may as well call it a hobby, I sure as "H" never intend to be married again!)
Lance

Shay2

Feb 12, 2001
Ohio, USA
trainster.20m.com
Lance,

I am still laughing at your last comment!

Now that I've closed the chapter titled, "whats her name #2" I've thrown in the towel on marriage.
Many years ago a childhood friend's grandmother advised us to "love em an leave em", I wish I had paid some heed to her wise words.
I too include Dating as a Hobby!

Rich

------------------
Rush Run River Logging Co.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hey Shamus,
I was a professional musician for quite awhile myself. And I guess I still like to keep an eye on the "biz" so to speak. That's about the extent of it though, outside of the occasional recording venture. (I'm gettin' too old to stay up past midnight
biggrin.gif
)
I quit raisin' hell, & got down to raising my kids. Thanks to that though, staying home instead of on the road, I was able to get back into model railroading.
Two of my kids are now classical violinists. They've managed to surpass anything I ever accomplished, & the Old Man's pretty proud of 'em.

Biggerhammer

Mar 22, 2001
Concord, NH 03301
Visit site
As several have mentioned, sleeping is a hobby. I used to do more of it- coulda been a pro- but I've a six-month-old son who has taken over much of the time I used to dedicate to sleep
smile.gif

I play with computers, ride mountain bikes, read and write science fiction.

I tend to gather a new, transitory hobby every year or so. Last year was quilting, the year before target shooting, the year before that electric guitar. I still have and am working with the guitar but it's been gathering dust for too long. Again, I am amazed by how much time I used to have and didn't realize at the time.

Peirce

Dec 28, 2000
Southbury, CT, USA
www.geocities.com
Since you said "...apart from Model Railroads," I guess being a tour guide at a railway museum is slightly apart. Of course, that could also be viewed as just another scale, 1 to 1.

Actually, photography is a serious second hobby. I have been in and out of the pro ranks there in the past.

Also, I do a lot of work with Special Olympics, including coaching softball and bocce. Finally, I am involved in town government as vice-chairman of one of the land-use boards.

------------------
My photo albums:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=76905&Auth=false

Peirce
Southbury, CT

[This message has been edited by Peirce (edited 04-23-2001).]

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Well guys, that a real cross section of none related railroad hobbies.
Charlie, what a coincidence, I was also a professional musician years ago, small world.Two or three members here, have my CD I made, from Radio Broadcasts in the 1960-70's.
Find out on the website - AUTOBIOGRAPHY
http://www.badger-creek.co.uk

Virginian

Jan 27, 2001
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Visit site
Here's my list, not all active right now(my canoe's been 'dry docked' since late last summer)
Birding, here there and everywhere. I live in the country on the edge of a small City, near a year round pond, and vernal pools: plenty of water birds. And hawks, lots of hawks.
biggrin.gif

Paddling a custom solo racing canoe.I don't race, but it's very light weight, and fine for the waters I paddle on..lakes mostly, class one rapids,maybe class 2 without rocks. It's a definitely a flat water boat
Hiking and camping, esp. at Point Reyes National Seashore, about an hour's drive from my home.
wood carving and wood working.
organic gardening, vegatables and landscape.
Music- I play six and twelve string guitar,mandolin,'silver' flute, native american flute(I carve my own), harmonica (blues),and key board-- with varied ability..I only practice the 'silver' flute when my wife and the neighbors are far away...my poor dog hides in the bedroom!! I listen to almost anything except screamer rock and rap/hip hop..can't stand that noise!
computer games.
fishing,or I should say,'casting'
biggrin.gif

flying kites...still want to build my own designs.
Painting and sculpting
And I go through periods of a lot of reading, a wide range of genre and subjects.
And,(finally
rolleyes.gif
) travel, anywhere I can, where ever I haven't been.
Thanks for askin' shamus!
..I'm thinkin' of catchin' a "downunder" football match first time one's on Fox!! Thanks for the description, Woodie!
Bye Y'all
Lenny aka: Virginian

[This message has been edited by Virginian (edited 04-23-2001).]

Dave Flinn

Dec 26, 2000
Lansing, NY USA
www.lehighvalleyrr.com
Better late than never, they say.

My other interests, besides Railroads (model and "the real thing") are music, aviation, photography (exclusively digital now), being active in Rotary -- all in no particular order. I also like animals. We raise Clydesdale horses and have dogs & cats & geese & peacocks.

The problem is that sometimes it seems that I have too many interests. Anybody figgered out how to be in two places at once, yet?

------------------
Dave Flinn, Northeast Regional Vice President, NRHS
National Director, Cornell Chapter, NRHS
Life Member NMRA, NER, NFR,
Danbury Railway Museum

[This message has been edited by Dave Flinn (edited 04-23-2001).]

C

Catt

Well,I guess I'll throw my quarters worth into this little discussion.Aside from model railroading I collect diecast model cars in 4 scales,spend way to much time playing webmaster to 16 websites plus my own.I like chatting on ICQ(almost a hobby).I custom painted real cars and trucks for over 25 years till I got tired of it.

------------------
Catt! NARA#1 & A freelancer for life

Voice

Mar 2, 2001
central Iowa
Visit site
Hobbies outside of model railroading....I have noticed a lot of gardeners out there. I thought I wouldn't have to do it once I grew up, but I find that I enjoy it a lot. Just growing my own tomatoes, and canning them.. a lot we learn from our parents we never intended to!!! Also, building plastic models...ships, planes, just about anything. But not small scale...LARGE scale stuff..like the Bismark, or USS Iowa in 1/350...they're still over 18 inches long. Also, square rigged sailing ships....with lots and lots of tiny detail. I do love the detail!!! Oh, and playing with the computer a LOT!!!

Dick

Other interests? Aside from railfanning and photography (photo-taking is a part of railfanning for me), I've got a lot of friends who are blues musicians and we do what we can to "keep the groove alive." Lines do blur, for example I have an operator's manual for GG-1 locomotives which I obtained through a musician friend.

George

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
Would it be presumptious to assume that we are all railfans as well? How can one be an effective MRR without being a railfan?

The two activities seem to go hand in hand.

George.