Of interest to history buffs?

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Wily, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Wily

Wily Member

Everyone -

Some of you know that I spend time with WW2 veterans.

Recently, I was given a nearly priceless gift (to me at least) - a brochure on the historical "Memphis Belle"; the first American bomber to complete it's statistically-improbable 25 mission tour.

Movies have been made about this plane...books sold...tv documentaries....nonetheless, the little brochure I have was printed in 1943 and given to American air crew as a morale booster.

Each crewman was afforded a couple pages to write his thoughts to share to the crews who were getting ready for combat.

I found the opening pages by pilot Robert Morgan to be enlightening - sometimes business is a lot like combat, eh? Draw your own parallels...

Anyway - hope you find this scan interesting.

2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Wow - very cool...!

Would love to read more of that - how many pages does it run?

3. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Priceless isn't the word! I'll bet the 8th AF Museum in Savannah would love to have that!
  4. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Wily, it is indeed a great piece of history.

I want to tell you now of a friend of mine from the local model club, Connie Harth, who was a B-25 pilot on WWII, stationed in Italy, and with 55 bomb missions on his bag, and two of the most important medals for flight missions. He held the Air Medal and the Distinguished Flying Cross.

I am sorry to say that he passed away on his sleep a couple of weeks ago after some months of illness.

He also was an extraordinary modeler, and he built more than 400 models, most of them were of the vacuum kind, 1/72 scale. He was building 4 models when he began to feel sick, and he kept on modeling even in his condition.

And I was so lucky enough to make an interview where he told me many details of flying a B-25 on bombing missions. I hope to edit it soon and upload it to youtube.

Rest in Peace, Connie Hearth.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]