Of Hymns,GEs and Hell's Fire

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
While working on the C&O/Chessie in 1980 I was called to protect the job of head brakeman on a mine run our power was 3 U23Bs and we had about 70-80 cars and would return with around 112-115 loaded hoppers...We left Russell around 10-11pm and had a uneventful trip to the mine.I had not worked with this conductor or engineer before a real oddity in its self..The first thing I noticed the old engineer said a little prayer before starting out something I never seen a engineer do before but I said nothing about it even though I thought it was a good idea.We finish work at the mine and was making the return trip when our engineer starting singing hymns(he had a great voice) I have long forgot the hymn he was singing but I notice he stopped in mid word and said "Son That didn't sound right!" I replied I did not notice but it sound good and please keep singing.
At that the old engineer turn and smiled and said Son,I was not talking about my singing but that odd noise from this unit.Again I replied I did not hear anything unusual.He turn and looked back over the units and just shook his head.So he begin singing hymns again this time there was a loud thump bang thump from the engine compartment but no alarms in the cab.So we stopped the train and the engineer and I started looking over the unit for anything unusual and found nothing amiss.The conductor radioed and asked what happen? And I told him why we stopped..Well we continue on our way and all was going fine and dandy.Of course when we got to BS(Big Sandy) Jct we had to wait on several trains on the Kanowa Sub like usual..We finally got the signal and the engineer open the throttles on those GEs.THUMP! BANG! THUMP! WRUMF!! The sky turn reddish orange and the old engineer and I bailed after he shut off the throttle and set the brakes in emergency.After running a very short distance we stopped and looked back expecting to see a fire but the units seem to be just fine thank you.A guy(the tower operator?) came running up and asked if we was ok..We replied yes,we are fine..By this time a Cattletsburg Police Officer drove up with lights flashing and ask what happen as he saw a huge fireball light up the sky and thought there was a derailment and explosion he was plainly shaken up by what he saw..By this time two other things happen.1 we could hear fire trucks coming and 2 the conductor arrived in a car that he had flagged down and got a ride in.The conductor also shaken up as he said they saw this huge fire ball from the caboose and tried to contact us on the radio(in my haste I forgot the radio) and thought we was hurt or worst(or words to that affect).Well after checking the units and with the fire department looking on we whistle off.Upon arrival at the Russell engine terminal the engineer wrote a report on the way that unit was acting..From that day today I never did hear what the problem was but was told by several engineers GEs would do that from time to time but they never heard of a fireball that big!:eek:

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Thanks for relating that Larry.
I bet the hymn sounded great wish I could have listened!.
Do you or any of the workshops recieve a Christian news letter called
TRANSACTION,?? editor Mr Louis Voyer?
Distributed to Railways/Aircraft/ Trucking stops and Bus dept.
It would be intresting to me if you or the old engineer have seen it.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Chris,I have not seen Tranaction..But I do recall seeing Bibles in some of the hotels where we stayed until called for a train back to our home terminal after we got our "rest" time.

Ralph,I never saw that unit again after it was sent to Huntington shops for repairs shortly after that incident.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
David,No shotguns..The reguarly assigned brakeman for that mine run "marked off"(took the day off) so being a extra board brakeman I was called to "protect" that job during his absence so there would be a full crew..

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Mike,I did not mention this in telling the story but I will mention it now..Several of the passersby stopped and people that lives by the tracks came to see what had happen also,even more came to gawk after the fire department arrived with sirens blaring and light flashing..:eek:

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
The reguarly assigned brakeman for that mine run "marked off"(took the day off) so being a extra board brakeman I was called to "protect" that job during his absence so there would be a full crew..
Larry,
You learn something every day, if you pay attention. I had heard of the term "protect", but only in the case of a locomotive. The LIRR used to assign "protect" locos to cover the commuter runs, should the regularly assigned loco have a problem. this is the first time I've heard the term used for crew.
Pete