Oe Vs ON30

Discussion in 'On30 Forum' started by hk tam, Aug 25, 2006.

1. hk tam

hk tam New Member

Anybody know what is different between Oe and ON30? Can I use the Fleischmann Magic Train on the ON30 Layout?

HK Tam
  2. HarryHotspur

HarryHotspur New Member

Yes, you can use Oe equipment on and On3O layout with no problems. In fact, I'm doing that on a test layout I've built. The Oe stuff runs fine.

However, Oe is a slightly larger scale than On30 (43.5 v 48), and the difference is more noticeable than I expected. Or perhaps the Oe prototypes are just larger than the On30s.
  3. HarryHotspur

HarryHotspur New Member

One other thought - the Fleismann Oe trains run fine on 10" radius curves. Most (but not all) of the Bachmann On30 equipment needs about 15" or more.
  4. hk tam

hk tam New Member

Thank you for your advise.

Hk Tam
  5. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

I've not seen Oe before, but I know HOe.
    Can I assume that Oe and On30 both refer to O scale trains running on HO gauge track? (even if the O scales are different?)
  6. Canopus

Canopus Member

Yes, is the simple answer to that question. Although apparantly as others have said, the scale is such that when standing next to an On30 locomotive, the Oe stuff appears to be larger scale.

Just out of curiousity, has anyone ever "Americanised" any of the fleischman magic train stuff? Some of it looks pretty nifty, I bet that outside framed 0-4-0 diesel would make a good Queensland (Australia) sugar plantation loco (IE a Jenbach or Gmeinder).
  7. ecutrer

ecutrer New Member

Fleischman Oe

Are there any problems with the power source. One engine description noted a 230V power source. I am not very knowledgeable about the electrical aspects of European vs. American. I want to run these engines on my ON30 layout.
  8. Canopus

Canopus Member

Ignore it, the 230v is irrelevent to your locomotive unless the electric motor is HUGE. :p

The motor in your model probably runs on anywhere between 6 and 24 volts. Normally it doesn't go above 12 volts. That's universal. You can take a model locomotive off a layout in hong kong and take it to america, put it on your tracks and it will run fine.

It's not the locomotives that are the problem, it's the electrical equipment used to power them. If you just remove the european plug and replace it with an american one, then plug it straight in, you're going to get a lack of power, because the equipment is configured to transform much much higher mains voltage than the US grid will give you.

I have the same problem being in the UK, the only difference being if I attempted to use an American power control unit off UK mains, it would probably catch fire!

Despite that though, my model locomotives would still work on your layout, because the 6v to 24v average remains the same.