O27 Table

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by lil'train, Aug 9, 2006.

1. lil'train

lil'train New Member

I want to make a train board for my O27 stuff, and am very inexperienced with model railroading, so I have some questions:

1) What material should the table be made of (preferably something light and trasportable)?
    2) What should the dimensions be for an O27 table?
    3) What is the best grassing process and what should I use for the grass? I've been to hobby stores that sell flock, but they sell it in little bags at high prices and it would be an exorbitant fee to cover an O27 gauge table in it. Can I buy it in bulk or something?
    4) If I put grass over the whole table, can I change it in the future as my modeling skills grow (such as put in water, hills, etc.)?

2. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

If you wish to build a table type benchwork, then I would sugest at least 1/2 plywood. I used 3/4" on mine as it has less warage and is flater. It also will have less noise transfer.

The size depends on your track plan.

I used green ground cover on my layout. First paint the plywood green and while the paint is wet, add the ground cover.

Hope this helps
  3. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Without trying to be too cute, the table should be bigger than your track and smaller than your room. A 4x8 foot piece of plywood is a common start.
    Height is debatable. Depends on who will be viewing and running. Preferred heights run from waist-high to eye-level.
    I made a table out of 2" extruded foam insulation in a wood frame.
    Lots of threads on this topic. Check the forum on Layout planning and building and Tips and techniques.
  4. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

I'm not sure if the foam would be strong enough for the wieght of o27. o27 is 27 inch diameter I think. You could use a board as narrow as 31 inches. Some green paint and sawdust dyed green can make an inexpensive start on scenery. Then you can buy your foam scenery materials a little at a time and work on a small section of the layout, then move on to the next section, and so on. You can always add more scenery texture on top of old scenery to make it look more realistic.
  5. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

6. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

Here are some pics from the Western Reserve Model Railroad Museum. This is a temp layout for testing, and is on 2" foam.

:D :thumb: :wave:
  7. pgandw

pgandw Active Member

On one of my 3 rail layouts - 4x8 - I put down indoor-outdoor green carpet over the plywood. I used the kind that looks like it has grass growing. I tacked it down under the plywood edges with black thumb tacks. When I was ready, I could have cut out sections for other scenery. Never did though. It looked reasonable for a toy train layout, and didn't interfere with wiring or track screws. Just vacuumed it periodically.

On my Christmas layout, I used 1/4" plywood glued on top of 1.5 inch thick blue foam. I painted the plywood and frame a Christmas green, and then added "snow" using the fiber batting stuff sometimes used for pillows. Used a little glitter spray to give the snow some sparkle. The plywood allowed me to use normal track screws. Wiring was run on top of layout under the snow, as the underside of the foam was designed to sit flush on the floor as a Christmas tree stand.

my experiences, your choices
  8. Iron Horse

Iron Horse Member