O Scale Shelf "Layout"

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by riverotter, Jul 21, 2008.

1. riverotter

riverotter Midwest Alliance Rail Sys

I'm not sure if this actually qualifies as a "layout", but I am planning to build an O scale around-the-walls shelf-style layout that will occupy a shelf about 9" wide, about 66" off the floor (eye-level for me).

I'm thinking about using right-angle shelf brackets to support the shelf.

The wall studs are about 16" apart, so I could put an angle bracket at each stud location, but I'm wondering what material would be a good choice for the shelf given that it has to support heavy O scale equipment?

Foam board seems out of the question, for example...

Thanks for any and all suggestions!
  2. wood shelf, put the foam board on top of the wood to quiet it down. i used 3/4" thick wood shelving.
  3. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Yep, its a layout! :thumb:

4. riverotter, is this the same layout that you was planning in the o gauge track poll? the ho/o train/ sewing room ? how is it coming? or did that idea get scrapped ?
  5. riverotter

You have a good memory! :mrgreen:

I looked long and hard at that idea and decided to rethink the concept along these lines: I also have S scale equipment, so I'm now thinking about separating the three scales into a "multi-deck" series of stacked, separate layouts. Since I have mostly HO equipment, that layout will occupy the most space in the train / possible-future-long-arm-quilting-machine room. Since I have less O scale equipment, and even less S scale equipment, the S and O trains would occupy strictly point-to-point around-three-walls layouts on narrow shelves. They would still have decent runs (around 90'), and I might at some point even look at creating turnback loops at the ends for continuous operation. Of course, there is always the original train room where I might have 10' x 18' for something, but time and money are the two limiting factors right now, so I have to focus and "take what I can get".
  6. with being on temporary medical leave from work i got the time,,,, but not working i dont got the $$$$... when i am working i got the $$$$, (well more then now...lol ) but no time..lol

im off work while doing chemo, i just hope i dont have to start selling my trains.....lol i have one of my motorcycles for sale. (i have 3)
  7. riverotter

I have received a number of excellent ideas from various contributors across the forums I belong to. If anyone has examples (as in photographs) of what they've done along these lines, I would very much like to see them. Thanks again!
  8. Geno

Geno Member

I personally would increase the shelf depth th a minimum of 12-18" to allow for a scenery backdrop- keep the track 3-6" from the edge to keep the viewer's focus on the trains and make the forced perspective work better. I would even go 24" deep if doing a yard- plenty of room for roads and a city backdrop.

As far as shelf construction and support goes, a 1 x 4 framework made from pine, Doug Fir or VG Fir, support joists spaced 16" o.c., glued and pinned together with 2" 16 ga finish nails will be strong and straight as long as you picked straight boards. I use 1/2" Soundboard over 1/2" OSB for the subtop- it's quiet and flat. If you use 1 x 3's for the back and support joists and 1 x 4's for the fascia, the shelf will have a clean look. I made different sizes (2 x 6, 2 x 4, 2 x 3) and mounted them on base cabinets.

These modules aren't light, but you can screw them directly to the walls as long as you catch the studs. I wouldn't try to support anything wider than 12" with screws alone without some kind of bracket. I have built a 5 x 10 layout that is freestanding (screwed to three walls), but I did put 1 x 3 support strips where the bottom edge of the frame touches the wall for additional support.

9. riverotter

Thanks, Geno, for these great ideas!

The planned shelf for my O scale trains will only be about 12" above the HO layout, which uses 24" wide shelves around the same walls the O layout will occupy, so increasing the upper shelf width beyond 9" starts to infringe on the HO layout's "air space". I will look at maybe 12" instead of the original 9" width to see how that looks.