O scale questions

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by sayulitas, Apr 22, 2005.

1. sayulitas

sayulitas New Member

i am in the process of building a large setup in a studio/warehous in brooklyn
    i have a few questions

do there trains handle grade well ho much pitch can i throw at it

is it possible to custom build long straight peices out of wood and some sort of rail type metal? i need several 20foot straight peices
    if i could gets some correctly gauged metal i could tap it into the wood i dont care about astetics so if anyone has ideads on that please let me know

another question about going down hill
    and if it is possible to build track will the train decend without electricity or will it stop

and with large track is it hard to keep two locomotives going and how is this done

please let me know what you think
  2. capt_turk

capt_turk Member

An idea for the track is to do something like "Groovy Track" Do a Google search. Should give you some ideas. I would use steel flat bar for the track. It is done alot in G scale. Should work with O also.
    To run more than one train at a time, you need to either wire DC blocks, or go to a DCC system.
    As far as grade goes, try not to exceed 2' rise for every hundred feet of track.
    The train will stop if it doesn't have power
  3. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Sayulitas, are you doing two-rail or three-rail O scale? In 3-rail, 4% grades are common because that was the grade of the trestle sets that Lionel and Marx sold in the 1950s. You won't pull 20 cars over a 4% grade though. Something closer to 2% is better if you like long trains.

I have some older locomotives that probably would continue down a grade without electricity, but the grade would have to be so steep that it wouldn't be able to climb it. Newer locomotives with worm-gear drives won't coast. Better to assume it's not going to coast without power, or at least it's not going to get very far.

Running multiple trains in 3-rail is fairly easy too. The higher-priced ones have a type of command control (Lionel calls its system Trainmaster Command Control; MTH calls its system Digital Control System). Without TMCC or DCS, you can still run multiple trains by setting up control blocks. The December 2004 issue of Classic Toy Trains magazine described a couple of methods of doing it. The better methods involve the use of a relay. You can get the parts you need at Radio Shack for about $15.
  4. sayulitas

sayulitas New Member

Building Track

Ok so now that i Have seen Groovy Track's Web Site "ITS ON"
    i need to find out the exact gauge of the actual rails and i need to understand what is the difference of o scale on2 and on thre.
    is o on two charged rails one + and one -? and if so do i need a specal locomotive for it. and if im building my own godamn track how hard wouls it be to fabricate my ow steam loco powerd by porpaine to boil water i am an art student after all
    i know a man with a metal shop who has fabricated automatic paintbal guns form blocks of aluminum he migt help
    any thoughts?2
  5. capt_turk

capt_turk Member

lol!! From the sound of things, you would be better off to jump a gauge. Go up to G scale. There are a fair number of live steamers available in G. One of the cheapest, is the Accu-craft Ruby, at about $400. There are also a number of plans available for building them from scratch. G is the smallest that live steam is really practical. It has been done smaller, but it is tough.
    If you are interested in a real steam engine. Try the website of DiscoverLiveSteam.com. They have abunch of links to other sites.
    I can't really tell you anything about 3 rail O. Everything I do is two rail.
    I''m in the process of building a full size live steamer, 2' gauge.
    Track profile: The shape of the track is not critical. It is the distance between the rails, and the profile of the wheels that really matter. The rails have to be tall enough that the wheel flanges won't hit the ties or spike heads.
  6. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

On2 and On3 are narrow-gauge O scale. The models are 1:48, but they represent trains that run on track that's two or three feet wide. On30 is 30-inch (2.5-foot) track. Regular O gauge uses a track width of 1.25 inches. On30 is popular because it uses HO gauge track, which of course is cheap and plentiful.

Yes, with two rails, it's DC and one rail is + and the other is -.

On30 is the cheapest of the bunch; but if you're interested in live steam, I agree, step up to G.