o scale people?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by ozzy, Jun 10, 2007.

1. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

where is the best place to look for o scale people? i need army people, i want to do a patriot guard riders scene. with the PGR standing outside of a train station with flags while the troops get off the train or walking out of the station.
  2. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

A company called Artistta makes good figures. Arttista Accessories They aren't cheap but they're pretty nice. If you don't mind slightly oversize figures, check out the toy aisle at Dollar Tree. Their bagged Army soldiers scale out to 7 feet tall in O scale (their actual scale is probably closer to 1:40 or so) but they may be close enough for you and a bag of 50 costs a buck so even if there are only a few usable figures in a bag, it's not like it cost much. The Dollar Tree figures look pretty good after you prime and paint them. I have some police and fire fighter figures that I primed with Krylon and then painted with acrylics and I was pretty happy with how they turned out, especially given the price.

They're big, but put one next to a 1:43 vehicle and they don't look so big. 1.75 inches is 6'6" in 1:43, so they still look like tall people, but believable.
  3. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

cool, thank you! most of my o gauge stuff it lionel post war with a few new and newer stuff mixed in. so they dont have to be to scale. just close. MTH makes bikes and bikers that i can use for the patriot gaurd riders.

4. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Glad I could help. Hopefully some of the dollar-store figures will do the job for you.
  5. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

You might want to also check out www.diecastdirect.com

Look under Corgi for some of the Mlitary. They list things in 1/43, 1/48 and 1/50. All will work well ith O gauge.
  6. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

ok what about 1:72 scale people? would they look ok ? or would they be way to small, 1:72 is S scale right? i cant find what i want in 1:48. but found just the thing in 1:72
  7. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

S scale is 1:64, so 1:72 is a little small. Let's see... Danger! Journalist doing math! 6 feet tall is exactly an inch in 1:72. So the figures will be about 1 inch tall. In S scale, 3/16" is a foot, so a foot would be 15/16, so a 1-inch figure would be about 5'3" or 5'4". That's definitely on the short side but not totally unbelievable. You could place some Hot Wheels vehicles close to them (which often work out to 1:70something, scale-wise) to help disguise the scale.
  8. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

hmm and i bet 1:35 is way to big then......?
  9. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

More math for me... Six feet is 72 inches, so if we divide 72 by 35, a 1:35 figure will be 2.06 inches tall. Yeah, that's really big for O scale. I'll use the cheap and common 1.75 inch figures (that works out to roughly 1:41 scale), but a 2-inch figure is 8 feet tall in 1:48. That's really pushing it. Since traditional Lionel is more undersize than oversize, given the choice between 1:72 and 1:35 figures, I'd go with the 1:72s.

Then again, most of us don't think twice about putting the Lionel gateman on our layouts, and that figure is two inches tall, maybe a little more. And I know some people use 1:35 armor for flatcar loads.

So I guess what I'm saying is neither is ideal but you'd be able to justify either one if you wanted.
  10. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Check some of the ads in back issues of Fine Scale Railroader. (They are all back issues since the magazine is no longer being published) There are advertisers who specialize in 1:48, O scale figures, that you never hear about anywhere else.
  11. jefelectric

jefelectric Member

12. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Another source is MTH. They sell packages of unpainted figures pretty reasonable. Remember, we all come in different heights and diameters. :D My wife is only 5'1" tall. My best friend is 5'7" tall but husky so different sized people on the layout are appropriate.