O scale marx set????

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by ozzy, Jun 25, 2006.

1. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i got a 1954 marx O scale 3 rail train set in its original box, all there, its being shipped to me as i sit here typing. i have 2 questions...

1. is the track the same as my lionel i already got? looks the same in the pic's from ebay.

2. what are the marx tran sets like this worth? wondering if it was a steal, or did i pay to much, i paied 38.00 with shipping.
  2. Marxed

Marxed Member

1.) it will connect with and run on lionel track. you can also run it on a brand new lionel transformer. they are pretty interchangable.

2.) if you could post some photos i could help you out on it, considering i'm the resident marxoholic. a link to the auction would work it if has good photos.
  3. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

4. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

If you like it then you paid the right price.
  5. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i like it as i dont have a o gauge steam engine, and with the box and all, for the $$ i did not think it was bad, i have all this track and nothing running to go around it, so i said what the heck, all my other lianel engines need reworked has they been boxed up for 20 years. im looking to get them going, and i just won another lionel steam engine today on ebay, for 25.00 with shipping, all ready to run.
  6. Marxed

Marxed Member

that is a really nice set for the money! it's not going to get you a ton of money by reselling, if you really wanted to resell it, you could get afew more bucks out of it during a peak season, i think more people buy during the fall and thanksgiving, since alot of people dont have trains that stay up all year. a hobbyshop price for that could be $50.

the reason why you didn't pay that much is partly due to the fact that it's the summer and the fact that the plastic post-war era marx trains are a bit more common. you just bought a 52 year old train in rather good condition with it's original box, which is pretty damn cool when you think about it! the sale values on those are way lower than what they should be, but hey, i'm not complaining, it's all the more money left to buy another one! next time you have someone over your house, show them your trains and see if they can guess just how old that thing really is!

Marx trains will last you forever, if you keep that in your family, your grandchildren's grandchilden's grandchild might just be running that thing around that track!

i have been aiming at the older tinplates in my collection, many of mine are from the 30's and 40's... i run them all the time and they are more reliable than the new lionels. i havn't had one break down yet. even after years of sitting around, they will jump back to life! i also have the same engine and do have all the peices in your set, minus the box, and they really are cool!

if you research Marx, or if your old enough, you'll know that they were a pretty big company, Louis Marx was a remarkable man, your train is a piece of history! keep it safe!
  7. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

ya, i like the lionel as alot of them have more detail, but i been keeping my eye on the marx's the last couple months. im starting to really like them. they got some odd ball stuff, i even been thinking about the wind up key trains from marx and lionel, alot of them on ebay from the 1940's. and they wont set ya back a mint.
  8. Marxed

Marxed Member

the tinplates are pretty darn cool, they range from the 30's to 40's, and are for the most part pre-war (WWII). here's some pics. you will really enjoy collecting marx!
  9. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

You got a good price on it. I bought a similar set a couple of years back, with no track, and probably paid about $25 total, including shipping. The track is probably worth the difference. Like Marxed said, they can go for up to $50 in November when people are looking for a train to set up for the holidays. That's what the train store near me charges. It takes him a couple of weeks to move one at that price, but they sell.

I really, really like the tinplate Marx cars and engines. I have a tin KCS diesel set, a few steamers, and a fair number of the 6-inch cars like Marxed shows in his pictures. They're charming and inexpensive.