o scale inclines?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by ozzy, Jun 7, 2007.

1. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

whats the steepest should i go? running mostly post war lionel and a few newer stuff. it will NOT be on the main line. but i want to make a yard under the main layout to park trains. i thinking i will need to go up or down 1 foot.
  2. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

well, been doing some tests... i may just go 7 inch's
  3. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

The ABSOLUTE max is a 5% grade I believe. That is the grade for a Lionel graduated trestle set if I remember correctly.
  4. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

well i did get a foot high in 10 feet with my newer lionels, and thats with 5 cars and a turn in the middle. but my post war alco's needed 15 feet.
  5. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

at 5%. how many feet do i need to go like 8 inch high?
  6. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

13'4". 5% is 1 inch rise in 20 inches run. But remember, you can't go directly from level to 5%; it'll create an angle in the track that'll derail trains. You'll need a vertical curve, which will increase the length somewhat.
  7. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

We found the guy that doesn't suck at math!
    Grab him and be sure he doesn't get away!

8. gfmucci

gfmucci Member

Smooth vertical transitions with FasTrack

Do "vertical transitions" (aka "vertical curves") require the track to be vertically curved, or is it ok for the vertical transition to occur only at the track joints? With FasTrack, the track joints is the only place this vertical transition is practical. Does that provide an adequate transition to the incline, or does the movement of the train transitioning to the incline appear abrupt at points of rail joints?

Is there other track better suited to vertical curves for inclines?