O/S Scale Switching Layout Plans

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by riverotter, Feb 11, 2008.

1. riverotter

riverotter Midwest Alliance Rail Sys

I've just learned that I'm a 'rubber gauger' -- meaning I'm interested more than casually in more than one gauge/scale. :oops:

My space for either O scale 2-rail or S scale (or both) is limited, so I'm thinking about building a switching layout.

I found this plan, which is a combination of the famous Timesaver and Inglenook plans.

I'm trying to figure out how much space it would require in O scale &/or S scale.

This plan appears to be in N scale.

Any ideas or comments would be welcome.
  2. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

If it's 2x12 in n, it,s 4x24 in ho and 8x48 in o, I think.

3. Geno

Geno Member

That would be sweet in O gauge- you could probably cheat by wrapping it around two walls.

4. jetrock

jetrock Member

Just judging from a quick glance, I'd say that plan is probably HO rather than N. This it would be more like 4x24 in HO, if you weren't able to squeeze a couple feet out of it, down to, say, 3x20 by using background flats and shaving a track off of that yard (or angling the yard tracks towards the backdrop, allowing that shelf layout to be built on an 18" shelf in HO.)
  5. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

If it's a 4x24 in O scale...it'd be a 3x18 in S scale. S-scale is exactly 3/4 the size of O scale...just for reference.
  6. TinGoat

TinGoat Ignorant know it all

Forget about scale and think about gauge

Hi Riverotter,

That's a nice track plan.

Be true to your inner Rubber-Gauger and really embrace it!

Use regular HO track which is 16.5mm gauge.

For an industrial switching layout you can bury all of the ties by running all the trackage in pavement.

This will hide what scale you are doing.

Now, you can build interchangable buildings in almost a dozen different scales.

Bring out your inner Anglophile and model OO [1:78 / 4mm scale] British standard gauge railway.

Bring things home with HO [1:87 / 3.5mm scale] North American standard gauge.

Maybe some narrow gauge from down under Sn42 [1:64 / 3/16th] Cape Gauge.

Don't forget that there's a couple of different flavours of O-Scale:
    North American On30 [1:48 / 1/4-inch scale] which represents 2' 6" gauge.
    British O-16.5 [1:43.5 / 7mm scale] which represents 2' 4" gauge.
    European Oe [1:45 / 6.8mm scale] which represents 750mm and 760mm gauges.

That will give you a variety of different building and equipment styles.

But you can go even bigger!

Gn15 [1:24 / 1/2-inch scale] which represents 15" gauge.

The bigger the scale, the narrower the gauge and the smaller the equipment.

So you can have several scales and all sorts of interesting equipment in different gauges, all rolling on the same track.

Go for it!!! :thumb::yep::thumb: