O gauge trees?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by JoeGrapes, Apr 30, 2009.

1. JoeGrapes

JoeGrapes Member

I finnally have all the track down and the trains running and now I'm working on scenery. What is a good size for trees on an O gauge layout. I mean about how high in inches? I've seen trees on ebay pretty reasonably priced. Has anyone tried them? I've used this plant mossI've used this moss in a bag I got at the local craft storethat really looks like bushes but now I need some trees. Any thoughts?
  2. pgandw

pgandw Active Member

A 40ft tree in O scale is 10 inches tall. For trees close to the track, I like at least 40ft trees to give the proper proportions to scenery and layout. I'm quite willing to go a lot smaller as I get further from buildings and trains.
  3. Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson Well-Known Member

The tree size issue is important. Commercial trees are not large enough in Ho.

When I was a teenager my Mom took me outside, showed me some trees in comparison with two story houses, and then mocked the little lollypop trees on my layout, which were shorter than two story houses instead of much larger.

Pointing at a big log on a log car, and then at a lollypop tree with a toothpick sized trunk, she said " you have to have trees with trunks big enough to get logs like that out of them.

The largest available trees in Ho make medium to medium small trees in the HO foreground. My Mom taught me how to make trees by twisting wire coat hanger wire, (she was an artist at heart) and stove wire to get an armature that we then filled out with plaster into witch we carved bark detail .

The size issue is even more evident in O scale. The thing is most model railroads have puny trees, so we get used to puny trees on model railroads, as that is all you see. look at nature, and then look at your models, and make your desiscions.

As noted earlier, you can use smaller trees as you move toward the background which gives you a forced perspective. On my HO railroad, way up on the top of the ridge, the trees get tiny, and I use some N scale buildings to help complete the distance illusion.

There are some regional differences, so study trees in the area you are modeling, and compare them to real objects that will be represented as models on your layout. some selective compression may be needed, but two or three humongous trees in a corner of the layout can make the smaller trees elsewhere look like smaller trees, rather than improperly scaled trees.

Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson