Nyack Dairy milk car in service.

Blake

Jul 19, 2002
Northern New Jersey
www.BlakeDTatar.com
Here is the Borden's style milk car that I scratchbuilt in N scale. I was attempting to make a Borden's milk tank car but made a couple of mistakes that were not easily fixed (such as the sharp corners). I decided to start over but also figured that this would make a good "what if" model. Nyack is an actual town in NY state that will be lossely modeled on my fictitios Piermont Dock Railway. I will be building a creamery there that will be served by this car and a few others. I posted some other photos at:

Other photos of the Nyack Dairy milk car.

Attachments

• nyack4.jpg
    nyack4.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 144

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Beautiful model of an interesting freight car! Great job, Blake!

Two silly questions, however: :confused:
What the heck is the door for? (Never seen a milk car like this - not in Europe anyway.)
Is there a (smaller) milk tank inside, which is insulated against the cold?

Ron

Blake

Jul 19, 2002
Northern New Jersey
www.BlakeDTatar.com
Yes Ron. On the real car there are two 3000 gallon glass lined stainless steel tanks insulated with cork and asphaulted to the floor. Where the doors are there is a space that houses either a pump or a compressor. They could pump the milk of blow it out using air pressure. That was also where the manholes to get inside the tanks (for inspection and cleaning) were located. Some cars looked just like reefers. The ones with wide doors would also carry some cans of cream or cheese inside while others had a narrow door. Milk was a very interesting subject back when it traveled by rail.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Blake, thank you for the clarification.

I never occupied myself with milk transport. (Perhaps as a Swiss I should have :eek: :rolleyes: :D ) But you are right, this seems to be quite an interesting part of railroading.

I remember that I had a dairy on my earlier N scale layout - but I served it only with boxcars and reefers. I also recall I heard the name 'Borden milk car' but couldn't imagine wwhat it was... :(

Ron