Nuther boxcab,this'uns a tiny one

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by Catt, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Catt

Catt Guest

Here' some pix of the newest critter outta the GVR backshops,it ain't done yet but she's a roller.

This little critter is done in 0n30.Except for the mechanism(KATO NW-2) and the grille(Athearn Hustler) everything is scratchbuilt.

Since I had most of this project just laying around I have less than $5.00 in this project so far.:D :D

Now I need to do a caboose to go with her,and maybe some freight cars too.

Oh yeah,the tiny part,she's 24' long over the footboards.
  2. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

All that needs is "gauge ind" on the side, and it will really be a "box" cab.

Lack of humor aside, can't wait to see it completed. The Kato drive should make it a great runner.
  3. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Catt thats really neat, do you have anyplace to run it? :cool:
  4. Catt

Catt Guest

Not yet Tyson. The N scale layout is the priority at home. Once that is operational then I will build the 0n30 layout.

The 0n30 layout will be a modern day narrow gauge shortline/tourist trap railroad layout. ( gives me a place to use all those 1/43 scale diecast cars and trucks).

I either need less hobbies or one more hobby of keeping track of my hobbies.:D :D

I just priced out the 0 scale layout that I really want to build,Actually I quit pricing when I hit $15,000 and had not factored in layout building materials yet.:( :( (Love that ATLAS O stuff)
  5. Vic

Vic Active Member

Really NEAT! Catt...Sorta reminds me of the Grandt Line boxcab in Hon3.
  6. Tyson Rayles

Well you know the old saying Catt, "the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys" ! :D :p :D :rolleyes: :D
  7. Vic

Vic Active Member

But as the saying continues....."He who dies with the most toys WINS!!!".....:D :D :D
  8. Tyson Rayles

9. Bill Stone

Bill Stone Member

Have you seen the June photo on the NMRA 2002 calendar?

Speaking of tiny tiny box cabs!

Bill S
  10. Catt

Catt Guest

The B&O had an electric boxcab that is 15' long.It replaced one that was 12'long.

If your into 0n30 something that small is called a "Critter".

Come to think of it the Grandt line boxcabs are Critters,seems to me like Cliff did an O scale version.

The older Bachmann 44 ton centercab and 70 ton endcab GEs are purrfect for 0n30 critters as they have two seperate powertrucks.
  11. Vic

Vic Active Member

Hi Catt, Don't know if you heard or not but Cliff Grandt passed away back in March. The last issue of NG&SLG had several memorials to him. I met him once at an NMRA convention and gave him some decals I had customed made for the East Terrible Mining Co.(one of the Gold Line building kits he produced). Don't know if he ever used them but he sure was "tickled" with them. Our hobby has lost one its "greats".
  12. Catt

Catt Guest

Yeah Vic, I heard. I agree with you 100% we have definately lost one of our great ones.:(
  13. Vic

Vic Active Member

HeyCatt...just a quick shot of the decal for the East Terrible Mining Co. Y'all get back to boxcabs!!!:D :D

Attached Files:

• etmc.jpg
      File size:
      70.3 KB