Numbers game...!

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Here are the latest stats on The Gauge...

Threads: 18,057, Posts: 184,791, Members: 4,888, Active Members: 998

Here's the game...

Which will we reach first...?

- 20,000 threads
- 200,000 posts
- 5,000 members

And when will we do it?

The bonus round: Will we maintain 1,000 active members? ;)

If you are really up for a challenge, tell me in which order and when we will get to each milestone... ;) :D

Usual prizes apply*

Andrew

* If you insist on a prize beyond the invaluable prestige that comes with winning a Gauge contest, please send a SASE and a US$5 administration fee. A golden "horn-hook" coupler (HO scale only) will be sent to you whenever someone gets around to it. Suitable for mounting or framing (mounting or framing not included).

Interesting stats. I have no idea where to even take a wild guess on the questions, but I have a question of my own. How do you define an "active" member? Is it regular posters, anyone who has posted in the last xx days? or what? Curious minds want to know.

Thanks, Mikey. I guess that makes me an active member, then, only just barely. I probably manage at least one post every 30 days, but I enjoy lurking.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Think about those numbers for a bit.

1,000 people have posted something worthwhile here in the past month. Many more that aren't counted stop by to see what's going on.:wave:

We are approaching 5,000 members. It wasn't that long ago that we were taking guesses on when we'd hit 2,000. What these numbers show is that more than 20% of our registered members have posted something in the past 30 days. You've to to remember, "registered members" also represents a bunch that have registered and never posted but still lurk and some that haven't visited here in years including those that have long left the hobby. There are also some that aren't in the hobby at all and stop by just to see what something they have is worth, or to sell something. Subtract all those, and 1,000 active members over a 30 day period is a good number.:thumb:

Close to 200,000 posts in just over five years, that comes to about an average of 100 posts every day. Yeah, there are one or two other forums that average more than that, but there's great information, companionship and good fun in those 100 posts. I'm not saying that you'll not find the same stuff at other forums, but in my mind, 100 posts a day is managable and doesn't give you an overloaded brain.hamr

Pictures, that's one thing that we don't count, but should. We've got some of the best picture-takers in the hobby. Some of the best "how-to's", some great rail-fanning and super layout shots.

Now, back to the questions at hand, when will we reach those goals? For anyone that is willing to venture a guess at all of these, and comes closest in the total of all categories I will throw in a "Certificate of Achievement" for the winner. The winner will be determined by adding up the number of days, or hours difference of the actual occurance in all categories. The certificate will be suitable for framing, frame not included. :D :D

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
So after all that - and Don's helpful hint of ~100 posts per day - who wants to guess? :D

Andrew

N Gauger said:
Whoever has posted within the last 30 days is an "Active" member :)

Ack! I better post then, been almost a month now. dern work has been so rough that i hardly get any time to even look at these much less post.

Russ Bellinis

I'm going to take a wild guess and say Dec. 1, 2006. I think the secret to the success of the Gauge is two fold. We have great, civilized, people posting here. If anyone needs help, we have people ready with answers. When someone posts pics of their modeling, 100% of the responces I've seen are encouraging. Most importantly, I've never seen anyone post anything inflammatory or try to start any "flame wars."

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Update... should make it easier to guess... :D :D

Threads: 18,152, Posts: 185,514, Members: 4,921, Active Members: 988

So in the roughly 5 days since I posted the first message in this thread:

98 new threads (~20 per day)
723 new posts (~145 per day)
33 new members (~6 per day)
and we lost 10 active members (~2 per day)

So with all that analysis - take your best guess!

Andrew

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
It's on Oxymoron!! sign1

If it keeps up at this pace.... in 499 days, well have "no" active members but we'll have gained:

9980 new threads (~20 per day) for 499 days
360,477 new posts (~145 per day) for 499 days
16,467 new members (~6 per day) for 499 days
and we lost 10 active members (~2 per day) for 499 days

So noone will be posting on day 500, but we'll still gain 145 new posts :D :D :D

I know....... back to the meds stooges8 jawdrop

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Well, first milestone passed - 5000 members - May 23, 2006

Stats as of 24 May 2006 8:20 am EDT:

Threads: 18,392, Posts: 187,537, Members: 5,005, Active Members: 946

Andrew