Number Five standing by . . .

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Millenniumfalsehood, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

In the spirit of Gearz's thread on his Alien Refinery, anybody want to take a guess at what my current project is?

No hints from me! :cool:
  2. Mauiman

Mauiman Member

Only thing that comes to mind is the J-5 Robot from Short Circuit

That is where my red flags are raised.
  3. widget

widget Member

they look like overthrust hypercompensators from one of the ships from that show that was on a while ago.

Or is that hyperthrust overcompensators?

In other words,I don't know yet. :)
  4. Gearz

Gearz Member

Hooo.. I like guessing games..

* its the power modulation unit, from the over-thruster on a back blaster array, from a.. a... a... insidious death dealing machine..? Naaaahh

* The breach blocks for a twin turbo laser turret on a Star Destroyer..?

mmm... tricky.. hope we get progressive pics!
  5. nicknaylo

nicknaylo New Member

6. Millenniumfalsehood

"Access gained . . .

Number Five standing by." :)

Mauiman guessed it. I just wanted to see if anyone else would. :wink:

Yes, I'm building Number Five. I'll have a conversion kit also to convert his laser weapon to the red toolbox from Short Circuit 2.
  7. JackFrost

JackFrost Member

cool , always was one of my favorite movies. can`t wait to see how it comes out .
  8. Millenniumfalsehood

Mind you, it won't be completely accurate, but it'll be lightyears ahead of that other version made from a computer game.
  9. Gearz

Gearz Member

Dooh.. why does the bleeding obvious make you feel so dumb ~ thread title..hamr
  10. widget

widget Member

He DID change the thread title after about two days.
  11. Traveller

Traveller New Member

Cool subject!! I don't care for the second one, but the first movie was great! Nothing against Fisher Stevens, either, the second one just didnt' feel right to me.

How big will this be? I doubt I would build it, but would like to know for the sake of curiosity.
  12. Millenniumfalsehood

Most likely around 14-16 inches high. There are a *lot* of fiddley bits on Number Five which would make it hard to build at any smaller size, like the pnuematic pistons under his head and the small greebles on his chest(I detest relying on textures to make a model have texture, so I try to have as much 3D included with the model as I can).

I am almost done with the head. References for it are really hard to find apart from pausing the DVD every time I see a good view. I'll post a picture when I'm finished. The body should be relatively easy.

BTW, apart from Number Five, Fisher Steven's character "Ben" was my favorite. :)

"I have seen some strange, bizarre drivers, but you . . . you will be awarded the cake!"
  13. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

Hi MF! Cant wait for this one!
    I have been collecting reference pics of "Johnny-5" for a couple of years so I could do a model of him, haven't gotten around to it, but my references are great. I have a lot of close-ups of nearly every part of the robot. If you want them, just pm me. Have fun! :D
  14. Millenniumfalsehood

:shock: Awesomeness!! :D Thanks!
  15. Millenniumfalsehood

Thunderchild gave me some very good photos of the hero Johnny Five prop, which shows that the head isn't symmetrical like I thought. I'll have to remedy that.
  16. Millenniumfalsehood

Hey, it's been a while, but I've decided to pick this back up. I had started poring over all the reference photos, but with something like this it's hard to decided what to make as a texture and what to flesh out as a 3D object. Since it's not going to be 100% accurate i have to find a balance between RL texture and computer texture.

I'll be updating this from time to time, so don't assume this project is dead if it drops off the edge again. :wink:
  17. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

My projects follow the exact same procedure: Snail-pace like! :)

Can't wait for your J5 to roll off the assembly line MF!
  18. Millenniumfalsehood

Small update:

Got the eyelids done. The next parts will probably be the side vents and the mouth.

19. clif52

clif52 Banned

Looks great so far. I've always wanted a model of Number Five. The only thing I ever found in paper was a rip from a game that wasn't very good to scale up. I'll be watching this one with great interest.
  20. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member