Nuclear power plant

shellqc

Hi, i'm looking for a nucler power plant or a idea fore building one. I'm also look ing for smok stacks to find or build.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Nylon stapled to three rings? Not sure I'm getting that (?)

I did a little search and found this pic of a Con Cor structure but I think it might be out of production since I can't seem to find it anywhere else. It may be
N scale? At least it gives you an idea of how one manufacturer tried to model one.
http://www.electronetwork.org/assemblage/images/zone2/model/connuk.jpg

I'd be tempted to take a trip to the hardware store and see if I could find any objects that might look similar in shape to the classic cooling towers...cones, plumbing parts, heating duct components, etc. might be possibilities.

Interesting project.
Good luck
Ralph

Art Decko

Since you are a model railroader, I'm not sure this will be helpful -- that being said, here is a 1/350 cardstock model of a nuclear power plant, I think it's a Finnish facility. I believe the model goes for about $30.

DeckRoid

I don't know how to scale you want to go, as some of the models I have seen really scale down the cooling towers. The average height of cooling towers at Hanford, Wa are 500 ft tall and roughly 300 ft in diameter, while the tallest at the N Reactor was 700 ft tall and 400 ft in diameter.

Put that into HO scale and we are talking close to 8 feet tall.

I am not a rivet counter by any means, but I do like things to 'look about right'.

George

Mountain Man

Hi, i'm looking for a nucler power plant or a idea fore building one. I'm also look ing for smok stacks to find or build.

Use cones of proper diameter for top and bottom. Trim tops of cones until openings are equal and join top to top, then trim bottoms to appropriate size/height. Season to taste, a dash of paint and Viola`! Cooling towers.

Given the scale size, the towers might best be represented as flats against your background the way factories are, in which case you could make two towers out of one pair of cones, or one tower and paint in the others just to the side and slightly to the "rear" in your backdrop. Don;t forget some really serious power lines leading away. Just my thoughts.

Interesting project...please post pictures if you do it. :thumb:

Gary Pfeil

RonP said:
hmm first thought is nylon stapled to 3 rings.

I get it! Of course you need to support that top ring....but the rings could be discs, and held apart by wire.

Mountain Man

RonP said:
hmm first thought is nylon stapled to 3 rings.

I get it! Of course you need to support that top ring....but the rings could be discs, and held apart by wire.

I wish I could draw my concept, but I am thinking that a simple sheet of very thin sheet styrene rolled into a funnel shape of the right size, cut through the upper part and rejoined in the wasp-waisted shape of a cooling tower, then sealed and painted appropriately, might do the job without a lot of inner support structures or anything else.

It just might be simpler than it seems at first glance, but it's still going to have a humongous footprint no matter how it's done.

:idea:

jbaakko

Um, Herpa, I think, made a power plant that will work fine. I see them on eBay from time to time for ~$50.