NuBee Assistance on an Armstrong HO layout

Railthumper

Russ Bellinis said:
It also looks like there might be at least two reversing loops. Even if you run dcc you will have isolate the reversing sections and allow some sort of automatic reversing to keep the trains running through the loops.

Well, I'm having trouble finding any reversing loops except for the turntable. I drew colored (+ -) lines next to all the tracks and it always comes up with the same color on the same side everywhere. It seems the only isolations needed are the turntable, powered frogs, maybe a programming track and some circuit-breaker blocks for DCC protection/troubleshooting.

Am I missing something here?

RT

Triplex

There are no reverse loops in the center area. It looks like it at first glance, but think about it. The layout is an outer single-track oval and an inner dogbone (one one-way loop masquerading as double track). Simple enough, except that the end loops of the bone overlap, actually sharing track. However, try following possible train paths through this area. You cannot reverse direction on the same track, or change from right-hand to left-hand running. In the yard area, there are at least two crossovers that act as reversing sections. The trailing-point one on the right, and the facing-point one between the same tracks at the left end.

Railthumper

Triplex said:
Simple enough, except that the end loops of the bone overlap, actually sharing track.

Triplex, the inner loops on the right side are over/under at different elevations (0" & 4"). I'm not 100% sure but I can't see any reversing on the folded dogbone.

Triplex said:
However, try following possible train paths through this area. You cannot reverse direction on the same track, or change from right-hand to left-hand running.

Triplex, I'm having some trouble understanding this
confused.gif
. Would you mind expanding a little for us slowbees here. Is it because there is no "wye" to turn a train? I thought by crossing over in the yard area from inner dogbone to outer dogbone (both are the same overall loop) that a reversal could be accomplished.

Triplex said:
In the yard area, there are at least two crossovers that act as reversing sections. The trailing-point one on the right, and the facing-point one between the same tracks at the left end.

I'm still having problems with this concept too
curse.gif
. I keep running colored markers all around the tracks (sorta like a + and - marking) and except for the turntable can't seem to get a conflict anywhere that requires an insulated reversing block ??

RT

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Assuming that the dashed lines are tracks "under" the rest, entering either tunnel (Lower LH side of drawing) puts the train in a possible reversing loop situation, using the figure 8 pattern, and its associated outer loops. Any path where the train can loop around and come back on the same track going in the opposite direction is a reversing loop. If I had the computer skills, I could take your plan into photoshop, and mark out the reversing path. Unfortunately, I can make a reasonable facsimile of a tree, and kitbash locos, but I'm not great at computers. Maybe someone can indicate the path on your plan, and resubmit it.
Pete

GeorgeHO

Maybe this will show the reverse loop.
1. Loco at "MSC Storage Bldg" facing (counterclockwise) the stub end of siding.
2. Loco backs out to mainline (innermost track).
3. Loco goes forward(counterclockwise) on mainline using innermost track, around to top part of layout, around to hidden portion, over the hidden trestle, around the innermost hidden loop (now in a clockwise direction), bearing left at the facing hidden switch.
4. Loco emerges from tunnel on the second track (from inside) traveling clockwise, around the top past the back of the small industry, back to the yard area in a clockwise direction.
5. Loco crosses over to the innermost track (still going clockwise), thru the yard area, backs up on the siding by the MSC Bldg, and now parks, facing clockwise, turned AWAY from the stub end of the siding.
The locomotive has turned around, therefore it has gone thru a reverse loop, QED.

GeorgeHO

Pardon the ignorance. Your layout has two loops, one superimposed directly over top of the other, in the town area. These are the two ends of the folded dogbone. They are separate from each other, even though with the overhead projection, they seem to be one. When I was questioning your 4 and 0 elevations being too close together, I thought that they were connected by switches, and there was only one end to the dogbones, jointly shared. Obviously I did not communicate my questions properly to you, because you did not point out that they were in fact two separate disjointed tracks occupying the same footprint on your layout. Sorry for the miscommunication.

Railthumper

Hi GeorgeHO,

Yup, I didn't make it clear on the drawing that the two [right side] loop ends are just a over/under stack; one at 0" elevation and the other at 4".

I'll have to think a lot more over the locations of the isolation gaps for the reversing loops. Not quite sure where the gaps should be placed. Any suggestions from the gang will be very appriciated.

Like you say, it looks like an entire train can have its direction reversed by selecting one of two possible paths in the yard area to the folded dogbone loop.

RT

GeorgeHO

Speaking for DC with block/cab control. Regardless of whether you use DC or DCC, your yard area needs to be hooked up with the same electrical lead on all of the outside rails. That is the same with or without cab control. The reason is if you have a loco move across a crossover part of the pickups will be getting a feed from the departing track, and some of the pickups will be getting a feed from the arriving track, so they need to be the same otherwise you will get shorts. If you wire the yard first as an entity, you need lead tracks to be part of it for some distance out into the mainline. So you should have blocks set up far enough past the switches to have room for a loco and some freight cars.

On each hidden dogbone loop you need one electrical reversing block hookup installed somewhere around the town area, (theoretically) longer than your longest train. I know nothing of DCC reverse loop control, so I cant help you there.
Your trains will be in one block in the yard area, loop block, reverse block, loop block (direction switched), back to yard area (direction switched from original).

I think you're smart to go to DCC, maybe someone who knows can help you there.