NTrak module 98% complete - phew!

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
It has been hard finding the time to complete my new module for the upcoming Winterfest 04 show. So much holiday stuff had to be done first, well at least in the family's agenda it came first. Last big item is purchasing the plexi glass face. Cannot decide if I should go with the required Lexan for public viewing safety or 1/4" thick Lucite plastic. A 24" x 22" piece of Lucite is very flimsy and I think the 1/4" Lucite would be a lot more rigid and provide just as much public safety. Here is a front view of the module.

Attachments

• copy of mvc-017s.jpg
    copy of mvc-017s.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 312

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Back view. Cut in tunnel access openings in the skyboard and provided myself with a little work surface. Should point out that the work surface is actually the cover to provide protection for the module when I move it. You can see the hinge halves on both the module skyboard top and lower edge of table surface. I just pull the hinge pins and the "L" shaped masonite cover comes off and forms the support table.

Attachments

• mvc-004s.jpg
    mvc-004s.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 310

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
My electrical drops are in place and the chinch connectors are set to go. Do have to final check the wiring, should be okay, the wide pins are all on the forward rails. Find that a terminal block makes things much easier to correct wiring errors and to trouble shoot problems.

Attachments

• mvc-001s.jpg
    mvc-001s.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 308

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Had my step-son paint the skyboard with the continuing mountains. He's the artist in the family and he added so much to the depth of the module

Attachments

• mvc-015s.jpg
    mvc-015s.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 301

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
here is the abandoned mine and cabin. The sow bear and her cub are watching some canoeist on the river bank below them. Also is the one on the mountain trail about to run into a mule train. The mine "Notchurs Mine"

Attachments

• mvc-007s.jpg
    mvc-007s.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 294

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
I messed up in pouring the enviortex water. Tried to put some ripples in the mixture to simulate a current, but I started playing with the pour too late. The marks from the tool stayed in place with the edges remaining sharp. I was up to maximum on the pour height so adding an additional layer was out of the question. Forgot about the adage "Fudge with something long enough you'll break it". Used some of the Woodland scenics "Water effects" and filled in the bad areas and also provided a wave crest to show a current. Just dry brushed the high points with some acrylic white. I think it's passable.

Attachments

• mvc-012s.jpg
    mvc-012s.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 293

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
The darn speeder station. Thought I was good to go on this area. A fellow club member asked me about my tunnel clearances. He loves to run long stackables loads and has had problems on other people's modules with height clearances. I borrowed one of his stackables to double check my heights, even though I made them higher than the required minimum standards. Since the tunnel entrances were on curved sections of rail thought it best to check. No problem, plenty of height and side clearances. Good thing I did check a problem came with the speeder car and it's lead in rails. The husky stack car was so long and so low that on the slight curve it hit the parked speeder and bottomed out on the lead in rails. Quick fix, unglue the speeder and move it back further into the shed and dremel grind down the speeder lead in rails. Think its set-to-go now. Bought a package of the new Woodland scenics checker player figures, fantastic detailing. They do not show up in this picture but they are on the front porch, guess the work day is over.

Attachments

• mvc-008s.jpg
    mvc-008s.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 286

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
On the last picture, the dead tree fall hides the mirror edge and my artist son extented the background scenery onto the mirror further hiding the edge.

Well that's about where it is now, just have to figure out the plastic facing and maybe fudge the scenery some marry this module to my other ones to give a continuous look.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
That is VERY impressive modeling, Bill!:eek: :cool: :thumb:
The rockwork & water look FANTASTIC!!
:cool: :thumb: :thumb: :cool:

p.s. The module looks like it might be fairly heavy...?