Nscale roads

joe ramirez

Hellow crew,
I just wanted to talk alittle about the paving system. I just bought the paving system by scenic woods and I really felt cool making my roads.(just a side thought) anyway, I have marked a section for downtown for my plan and I went ahead and made a huge pavement section. I thought to do this as I was talking with the man at Papa bens in Houston about the stuff. He said he used it for foundation work of his buildings. I was thinking that I would lay a big slab that way when I lay my foundations and the sidewalks they will be raised.
I have one more question, When I want to make a lake be of the proper scale how do I measure it, Example an inch is how many feet? (N)
Anyone want to share ideas they have found for the paving system roads or otherwise?
thumbsup.gif

cpNscale

1 inch is about 13 scale feet in n-scale.I would suggest you go to the hobby store and buy a scale ruler like i did.It has been very handy to in checking small detail and they are faily inexpensive to.Look forward to seeing some pics of your layout.I plan on making my roads also with the same system as you did, glad to hear it works pretty good.
Also welcome to the gauge. :thumb:

cpNscale

Joe you can upload your pictures here on the gauge also if you keep them under their size restrictions,which are no larger than 640X480 and around 65kb

joe ramirez

okay I am attacthing photos that are pre sanding and still need to finish track.

Attachments

• Mvc-218s.jpg
    Mvc-218s.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 446
  • Mvc-219s.jpg
    Mvc-219s.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 459
  • Mvc-220s.jpg
    Mvc-220s.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 444
  • Mvc-221s.jpg
    Mvc-221s.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 450
  • Mvc-222s.jpg
    Mvc-222s.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 431

joe ramirez

Here are the pics post sanding prp for painting.

Attachments

• Mvc-230s.jpg
    Mvc-230s.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 436
  • Mvc-231s.jpg
    Mvc-231s.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 426
  • Mvc-233s.jpg
    Mvc-233s.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 431
  • Mvc-234s.jpg
    Mvc-234s.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 433
  • Mvc-235s.jpg
    Mvc-235s.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 438

cpNscale

Joe is that a road going over your tunnel,if it is i would say its a real steap grade for the best of autos!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joe ramirez

I was thinking that myself. that was an experiment. I need to get that scale ruler. Well I just measured the ground to the peak and it is a 34 foot hill. The cars will need lots of horse power and supergrip tires to make it.
cry.gif

When the train is under it from top of train to peak is a 10 foot gap. I think a way to fix that would be to put the tunnell ends and then over lay the road.
Thanks for the laugh.
So what do you think of the roads, those are country roads and They are 1inch and 3/8 from end to end. That leaves room for two cars and shoulder stipes.

joe ramirez

Yea I saw that and was amazed at the idea. That seems like alot of work. But fun work. So how much of the paper track is on the table at this point? You know something out of 100 views minus ours no one has commented on their experience with the paving system. I am new to modeling, so is this paving system a new product?

joe ramirez

Progress report 1

added texture to the layout using plaster cloth. This stuff is really nice to work with when it is fresh. My seecond roll was more dry than the first one and didnot spread as nicely but still worked none the less.
eek.gif
out the pics

Attachments

• Mvc-239s.jpg
    Mvc-239s.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 356
  • Mvc-241s.jpg
    Mvc-241s.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 354
  • Mvc-243s.jpg
    Mvc-243s.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 354
  • Mvc-253s.jpg
    Mvc-253s.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 354
  • Mvc-255s.jpg
    Mvc-255s.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 347

joe ramirez

Progress report 2

next I needed to add a base coat so I chose sand stone as the color for an earthy look.
thumbsup.gif
the next progress report should have some green clor mix in some where if I can find the directions. (fumbling for directions) just kidding I did not buy the scenary manual I am improvising.

Attachments

• Mvc-261s.jpg
    Mvc-261s.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 335
  • Mvc-263s.jpg
    Mvc-263s.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 341
  • Mvc-265s.jpg
    Mvc-265s.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 336
  • Mvc-266s.jpg
    Mvc-266s.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 326
  • Mvc-267s.jpg
    Mvc-267s.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 332

cpNscale

Joe looking good with the terrain now.I use that plaster cloth on my layout to and i really like it.I have found after you lay a piece where you want it smooth it out with your fingers to help fill in the holes in the cloth. :thumb:

joe ramirez

Progress report 3

Yea, that is what I do, and the first cloth worked best , the second seemed brittle and it didnot take the water verywell.
I was also thinking about your graffiti, On the net it shows the pics of the graffiti decals, at internettrains, that way your wife can get some ideas to draw upon.

Attachments

• Mvc-283s.jpg
    Mvc-283s.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 150
  • Mvc-284s.jpg
    Mvc-284s.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 153
  • Mvc-285s.jpg
    Mvc-285s.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 150
  • Mvc-286s.jpg
    Mvc-286s.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 152

joe ramirez

new fotos of work

I have added the barbred wire fence for the farmer. I have added a new river making and started on hills that will have a water fall and a tunnel for the road leading out of town.
I used a dremel tool for all the cutting of the wood and used newspaper and cardboard wrapped with plaster cloth.

Attachments

• Mvc-294s.jpg
    Mvc-294s.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 119
  • Mvc-295s.jpg
    Mvc-295s.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 116
  • Mvc-296s.jpg
    Mvc-296s.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 118

joe ramirez

the fence is made out of tooth picks stained and cut. the fence is 30 gauge wire.
thumbsup.gif

Attachments

• Mvc-297s.jpg
    Mvc-297s.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 114
  • Mvc-298s.jpg
    Mvc-298s.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 115
Good looking fence, Joe. Lots of toothpicks get usedon the Muddy Creek RR & I'm sure we'll be needing some fence posts soon.

Wayne

Grantha

cpNscale said:
1 inch is about 13 scale feet in n-scale.I would suggest you go to the hobby store and buy a scale ruler like i did.It has been very handy to in checking small detail and they are faily inexpensive to.Look forward to seeing some pics of your layout.I plan on making my roads also with the same system as you did, glad to hear it works pretty good.
Also welcome to the gauge. :thumb:

As an arternative to shelling out hard earned money on a scale rule, here's a web alternative thats free :thumb: (my favourite price) -Fiddlers Green Free Scale Rule. Once I print the ruler out I laminate it with clear packing tape.