Now you did it!!!

davidstrains

First someone asks how Shamus and the others scratch build structures. Then someone starts collecting "scratchbuild" structure plans. Then Shamus posts structures that are magnificent as well as a post to Luis with a neat little N-Scale Depot. :mad::mad:

I thought I had my "model railroad experience" all figured out. Build the layout, buy ready built or DPM structures, assemble, paint, etc. then sit back and enjoy running the trains and admiring the super stuff that you guys with all the talent post in the Gauge. :) :)

I just had to try that depot, if for no other reason to get "scratchbuilding" out of my system. I printed the plan that Shamus posted, Glued it on the cardboard from a photo paper package and carefully cut it out using only 2 Xacto blades, painted it with my acrylic artist colors and said "Hmmm, that wasn't so hard". :) :D

Now I am in deep stuff with the wife because I said the last 2-8-0 was the end of spending for the railroad. Now I need some styrene, some wood strips to make a "wooded" depot, miter box, more room.....:) :)

I am posting a couple of pictures of the rascal that has caused this commotion. Granted it is NOT a Shamus quality product (remember it is cardbord) but with some work on my part and a bit more experience I could get to like this part of the hobby.

I sure am glad that I found this place.:) :) :)

Attachments

• shamus depot 1.jpg
    shamus depot 1.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 202

davidstrains

and a last one. Maybe if I go to bed and get a good nights rest all this will go away in the morning. ... but maybe not!!:D

Attachments

• shamus depot 3.jpg
    shamus depot 3.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 203

NYCentral

Nice Job David!! Yes scratch building kind of wears off on you, I started a scratch built water tower last night (didn't get too far).

jon-monon

Originally posted by davidstrains

Now I am in deep stuff with the wife because I said the last 2-8-0 was the end of spending for the railroad. Now I need some styrene, some wood strips to make a "wooded" depot, miter box, more room.....:) :)

Don't sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff; just take it outa gas money, a little here a little there :D :D :D

Very nice David. I think just knowin' shamus makes us better modelers, eh? Maybe we pick up his psychic vibes :D :D :D

Way to go, David! Just taking the plunge is half the effort. ;)

What you're going to discover now is that once scratchbuilding gets in your blood, well, ..... you can guess the rest.:D :D

Nice structure. :)

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
So far I have resisted the bug. I have caught myself looking at building and wondering to myself how I would build them.

Wait as I think about this I have built home made coal loads for my hoppers. I have built retaining walls, and bridge abutments out of wood and foam. Maybe I haven’t been resisting as well as thought.

What are these packs of styrene doing on the workbench? I can’t start scratch building I have got too many kits to finish. I must resist………..

BTW David I like your depot. It reminds of buildings we see along Route 13 on the Delmarva on our way to Virginia Beach every summer.

davidstrains

Tom and all,

Thanks, I think.:rolleyes: I admit to admiring the structures that appear in the various contests and threads and suddenly that fool knife appeared in my hand as if it belonged there. And all I was trying to do was to say - No, I don't have time, I need to wire and connect the DCC, and do the ballasting, and do the scenery and kit building and,,,,,,:D .

I guess that is what makes this hobby so much fun. I wonder when I will get enough scenery on it to justify the purchase of the wood strips, the styrene packs, the window and door details, chiminey's, ect., etc.

Tom, Where do you go in Virginia Beach. We take the RV down to Sandbridge in the summer. Where are these little structures you are talking about. I haven't seen them. Maybe I need to get off of the main highway and take a back road.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
David

Small world, we also stay in Sandbridge. We usually rent a house on Sandpiper below the S-turn. Last year we stayed at a place on the corner of Sandpiper and Kabler. Great place, we were going to stay there again next August but they tripled the rent. We are going to have to find another. When do you go down? We usually go the last week in August.

The buildings I was referring to are along Route 13 where the Delmarva Branch (now I think is the Eastern Shore RR) runs. They are mainly in the little towns particularly in Virginia. They are cool places because many of them seemed trapped in time. They have a lot of old industry buildings along the railroad and look like they are still in the fifties.
Also when we happen to wander around some of the roads in Pungo we see neat buildings that I would like to model.

The last time we were down there I actually saw a train in Virginia Beach. It was heading east on the line that parallels Virginia Beach Blvd. We saw at the Lynnhaven crossing right by the hobby shop that is there. My wife took a picture out of the car window with a throw away camera. Still have to get it developed.

davidstrains

Hi Tom,

I guess the next trip is going to have to be a structures finding trip. We generally go down to the beach during July and August. the week(s) depend on the work schedule. We stay at the Indian Cove RV resort on Sandbridge Rd. I haven;t seen many trains in the area but I did get stopped on one of the back roasds over the canal by a sailboat going through a drawbridge.

We should try to get together some time that you are down there.:)