Novice needs Direction

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by bholderman, Feb 2, 2005.

1. bholderman

bholderman Member

I've been toying with the idea of designing some card models for some of our clients projects (homes) at my blueprint company.

So here is what I have: Full working blueprints, AutoCad and Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop with a few other graphic programs tossed in there.

Does anyone have any advice in regards to how to proceed as a beginner towards putting these together? Obviously in these threads there are various programs mentioned, but I guess what Im really in need of, is just a point in the right direction.

2. rowiac

rowiac Member

I'm using the three programs you mentioned for designing models. Assuming you will be working in 2D, you can scan your blueprints, insert them as a picture into AutoCAD and trace over the views as a starting point. You could also do this in Illustrator, but I like the drawing tools and accuracy that AutoCAD gives me.

At the risk of oversimplifying the process, once you have the views drawn in (front, side, top, etc.) you will need to develop the flat patterns, similar to working with sheet metal if you are familiar with that. Compound curves (surfaces curving in two directions) will need to be converted to simple curves in multiple sections, since paper can't be rolled in more than one direction at once.

Assuming you know all that already, once your have your flat patterns drawn up, you can import them into Illustrator and add line colors and weights (strokes) and colors (fills and gradients) to each part.

You could stop there, or if you want add weathering or other "artistic" effects, you can open the Illustrator file in Photoshop and paint in whatever details you want.

For me, the hardest part is developing the flat pattern. I plan to work in 3D with Rhino in the future to simplify the process.

I hope this helps,

3. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

้Hi bholderman,

If u look at architecture and unfold, if your architecture not have curve much, u can use pepakura unfold from your AutoCAD file. i assume that u have it :D

Rhino is good program to work with too
  4. Gil

Gil Active Member

You might want to look at TurboCAD as a lower cost alternate to AutoCAD. It includes a floorplanner which facilitates the 3D drawing of homes. Pepakura, as suggested by Nobi, does an excellent job at developing 3D surfaces into 2D surfaces. If you have the money Rhino 3D includes both functions and contains a great user interface.

5. bholderman

bholderman Member

So, thanks for the help. On that note, is there room for a beginner's design/build thread anywhere.

I've chosen the Pt. loma lighthouse here in San Diego, CA to learn on. A fairly simple building, I think except for the light/mantle located on the roof.

6. rickstef

rickstef Guest

you can start in the architecture or the designer threads

Ron or I can always move it later on