Nov.30 Weekly Photo Fun

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by CNWman, Nov 30, 2007.

1. chessie4155

chessie4155 Active Member

Tom: Those Ore Jennys look great:thumb:
    Larry: Great looking SD9s:thumb:

Local 4828 getting ready to make a pickup.
  2. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

A coal drag with Penn Central and KP&W open hoppers.
  3. jeffrey-wimberl

jeffrey-wimberl Active Member

My latest project (not finished yet) is painting an Athearn BB SD40-2 to look like a reasonable facsimile of KCS 666.

Yesterday I started with the undecorated loco and gave it a coat of the KCS gray paint.

As of 4:30 pm today I've gotten to this point.

Yes, I know the herald is crooked. That will be corrected.

There's still more to do.
  4. green_elite_cab

green_elite_cab Keep It Moving!

You should get some Solvaset for those decals! that way that KCS decal will better fit over those bumps! Also, is this an older SD40-2?
  5. jeffrey-wimberl

Solvaset is on the shopping list. Yes, it is an older model.
  6. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Nice shot; like the B&O lead unit!

Cool car!

Cool SuisieQ shot!

Neat shot!

Nice shot at the tower!

Nice job on the station!

Great oldie on the turntable!

Great layout shots!

Cool looking “cats”!

Nice local!

Cool black & white shot!

Nice loco shots!

Nothing from me yet. I thought I was going to get something done but the foot and knee started bothering me and walking has been rough this evening. Maybe tomorrow.
  7. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Here's what I've been working on today - finishing up these houses prior to installing on the layout. After I took the photo, I noticed the Future Floor Wax label lurking in the background of this otherwise idyllic 50s neighbourhood. :D :D

Attached Files:

8. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

THat looks like the Mt Pleasant neighbourhood where my sister-in-law used to live... Nicely done. :thumb:

9. jeffrey-wimberl

Here's another one I worked on this weekend.

10. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Thanks Andrew! It could actually be any one of a number of Toronto neighbourhoods, since that style of architecture can be found all over town, from the Mt Pleasant area to East York. I had to scratchbuild that house, as I posted in a much earlier thread, since there are no model kits in that style.

11. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

TRULY FANTASTIC work and pics posted this week folks!:bravo::mrgreen: .

Rock Valley Sub NEWS...

A NEW engine has been purchased for use on the Rock Valley Sub today:mrgreen: , its an FM H24-66 Demonstrator TM-4:thumb::mrgreen: .

Crew Chief on the sub "Big Ed", was quoted saying: "we received the FM Demonstrator early this morning, by 5:00PM we were sold on it. here at the sub we have SEVERAL FM units, they have proved themselves to be very dependable, and Fred(head mechanic on the sub)loves to service them":thumb: .

We contacted UP's headquarters on this matter, and an official there was quoted: "the Rock Valley Sub is one of the biggest money making subs on the system, when Big Ed asks for more motive power, we NEVER question him. Big Ed has full reigns on that operation, and we couldn't be happier with the success he has brought the system, what Big Ed wants, HE GETS!":eeki::winki: .

Currently the Rock Valley Sub has the third largest amount of motive power on the system:eeki: , rivaled only by the Cheyenne and North Platte subs:toug::119: .

1- FM H24-66 TM-4
    2- TM-4 working with FM H15-44 Demonstrator #1500 purchased by the sub earlier this year:thumb: .
    :deano: -Deano
  12. Kanawha

Kanawha Member

I always thought those FM's were some of the coolest looking diesels ever made. Nice models!
  13. jeffrey-wimberl

14. cn nutbar

cn nutbar Member

hello all---great pictures---keep them coming---hey Deano,if i'm not mistaken,i believe that trainmaster demonstrator eventually became cnr #2900---here she is in her new livery while in service on Doctor Wayne's EG&E

15. green_elite_cab

green_elite_cab Keep It Moving!

I always wondered why the platforms are so high on FM diesels... what sort of equipment do they keep under there?

Geat work guys!
  16. jeffrey-wimberl

For years Fairbanks-Morse used opposing piston diesel engines. This configuration had air fuel mixture being compressed and detonated between two pistons instead of between a piston and a cylinder head. The two crankshafts were yoked together to a single output shaft. Perhaps that's what's in there?
  17. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

sorry nutbar, but TM-4 never made it to CN:frowns: . i probably have every book on FM's made:winki: , and here's what i DO KNOW:

your FANTASTIC looking #2900 was built in 7/55 , the CLC was 2901 , and the B/N was FM24L862. it was originally #3000 but was renumbered to #2900:thumb:

The history of TM-4(and TM-3, they were made and toured together:winki: ) goes as this:

FIRST, EVERY FM Demonstrator that rolled out of the Beloit plant was tested by the Milwaukee Road, before they were released ANYWHERE. so the road life of TM-4 started May 1953 on the Milwaukee Road tracks in Beloit WI:thumb: . TM-4's B/N #24L733
    Here was TM-4's tour schedule(1953):
    CNW - summer
    Rio Grande - summer
    DM&IR - June 19- July 15
    IC - October
    GN - summer
    RI - summer
    Santa Fe - summer
    UP - summer
    SP - August-November

In November 1953 SP bought TM-4(and TM-3). TM-3 came factory with a steam generator, TM-4 did not, SP's shop put a steam generator in TM-4 and both units were painted in the "Black Widow" paint scheme, #4801 and put into commuter service in the San Francisco Bay area. at a later date SP changed the paint scheme to the "Bloody Nose" and renumbered it to #3021.

18. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

g_e_c, i should know the answer to your question:mrgreen: ....but i dont:oops: . i do know that FM made ONLY 2 H24-66's with low front and rear platforms, BOTH units were sold to Wabash. i have seen no pics of them, but it is noted in a couple FM books i have:winki: .

Jeffrey, :bravo: , you are correct:thumb: . the engines were commonly called "Opie's":winki: .

Kanawha, THANK YOU!:smilie:

19. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Wow! That orange F-M demonstrator sure is pretty! It'd be nice if the Rock
    Valley Sub didn't rush to paint that unit too soon. :)
  20. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

THANK YOU Ralph!:mrgreen:
    hey, no need to worry:winki: , i JUST got off the phone with "Big ED" and he said he has NO PLANS to paint either of the FM demonstrators on the sub:thumb: .

Charlie, WOW, thats really weird:confused: . FM STILL TODAY is building ship engines:thumb: . UP services the FM plant, and i work only about a block away from it:mrgreen: , when i go out the back door at break time for a cigarette, i am staring right at it:winki: .