'nother "crummy" HOn30 project...

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
That's definitely not the open gondola with folding chairs that I rode on the Bangor & Aroostook in 1968! Lookin good!
It's amazing how quickly we get used to how gubmint regs affect our daily lives.
In the 2,000 mile trip home from Az., with the broken ankle, there was 1 (as in ONE) restroom/restaurant/hotel door that had a push button opener. It isn't until you're temporarily "handicapped" that you realize how little has actually been done for the truly handicapped, in spite of all the gubmint regs.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Folding chairs...in a gon!? Make yer average lawyer slobber like Pavlov's dogs at the thought.:p

I really do love painting my own figures and usually do them 4-5 at a time. I needed 19, 18 passengers and 1 conductor, to detail the interior before I put a roof on it. I often use up to 6-7 different colors in painting a figure, right down to belt buckles, buttons, even watches and jewelry. I love the stories that can be intimated from all the different poses and try to do it in a way that looks right whether the train is moving or at a halt. Sitting in the back is my Dad with his Orioles cap and favorite riding vest on.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 100

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
these n scale lokies aren't known for their low speed operating

If you would use a decent (instead of the model power) n-scale mech (atlas, kato, newer lifelike etc.) one with flywheels you would find the lowspeed operating equal to or better than that HO junk you are used to!!!!! :p :p :p BTW that caboose and pass. car are really neat! :cool:

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles
If you would use a decent (instead of the model power) n-scale mech (atlas, kato, newer lifelike etc.) one with flywheels you would find the lowspeed operating equal to or better than that HO junk you are used to!

Thanks Tyson, sorry for what appears to be a blanket statement on N scale mechs. I was refering to the 0-6-0 mech in this case. I've used what I believe is the best available mech for its size, but locos this small just don't have the mass to creep along like my Shay does. The Climax's Model Power mech has responded well to the extra weight of its new superstructure, creeping along at a respectable 8-10 smph before stall. The Goose does well at 4-6 smph, especially well for a pre-flywheel model. Because I wanted the open air effect on both the Climax and the Porter, I had little space for added weight. There is method and purpose to my madness.

I would do it again in a minute, my only regret being the added length that came from using the mech that I did on the Climax. This was soon quashed when I found the regauging from 3' to 2 1/2' on real locomotives was not an unusual occurance and the Climax is well within reason for a regauged 3 footer.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Thanks, Robin. Hafta admit my eyes had about had all they could take after doing 19 over a 7 hour period.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

The roof and rails are on now.

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 86

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
This shot shows how I did the railings. By modifying Pola scaffolding material as shown, I had a pair of surprizingly strong hand rails for my project.

Attachments

• end.jpg
    end.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 84

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Wow!
These are some really cool projects you've got going here, Shaygetz!

I tried a little venture into HOn3 one time, but my handlaid turnouts ended up a fiasco, & so I just kinda gave up...:rolleyes: :eek: :eek:
The narrow gauge thing has always appealed to me, but the skills that you "narrow-minded" folks have...regauging & repowering everything, have always been way out of my league!:confused:

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Originally posted by Charlie
I tried a little venture into HOn3 one time, but my handlaid turnouts ended up a fiasco, & so I just kinda gave up...:rolleyes: :eek: :eek:
The narrow gauge thing has always appealed to me, but the skills that you "narrow-minded" folks have...regauging & repowering everything, have always been way out of my league!:confused:

Thanks, Charlie. Without readymade (albeit pricey) track products, I wouldn't likely be doing it either. Handlaid track is cool but readymade, with its cast in spikes and fishplates, has more detail (that comment should generate a good old-fashioned $!#%storm):p

As for the other, I use stock N gauge mechanisms. At best I may have to carve out some of the frame but I would never bother reconfiguring a gear train. With today's porcelin smooth drives, remotoring is, for the most part, out of the question, even for the recent Climax project. There is no regauging involved.

Now, having seen your work and knowing that you're not afeared to use a razor saw, when you gonna wet that slim gauge appetite again? :eek: :D :p

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I don't know...You & Shamus & some of the othes on here keep showing me pictures of what you're doing, & that IS "whetting my appetite"!:eek: ;) :D
Right now I've got a couple of N scale projects going...oh, & let's not forget my wife's pet project...that 1:1 scale structure that we call "home"!:rolleyes: :D

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Shaygetz,
Now you have to get the track gang to blast out a shelf in the cliff 400' above the river, so the passengers can have "something to look at".
On second thought, then you'd have to install 6" thick acrylic windows, to keep the passengers from accidently falling into the river! :D :D :D