Not-so Well Known Shortlines

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
The How do you name your layout thread, is such a neat idea, that it got me thinking :D :D :D

Some of us must know about the thousands of small railroads that once existed in the US. (Or maybe still do)

How about it??? Want to teach us something about a Railroad that we've never heard of?????

Answer any or all of these questions:

Name of railroad____________________
What Was/is it's location(Ex:Southeast PA)
Where it ran-- From:________________ To:______________
When it ran -- From:________________ To:______________
How did you hear about it_______________________________
Did you ever ride on it________________________
What did it haul to make it's money________________
Is it still in operation____________________
If not - what's there now??__________________
If you know..... Why did it go out of business__________________
If it has an "Official Web Site" List it___________________________
Was the railroad built for a single purpose______________________
Built by a Private company_________________

If you have any other information to share(Pics etc...)________________

Well???? What do you think?????

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Great idea Mikey. Who knows? It could be an inspiration for someone's new/next layout. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Name of railroad..... Leiper Railway

What Was/is it's location: Southeast PA

Where it ran-- From:Lieper Quarry in Nether Providence, PA To: Chester, PA (Baldwin Loco Works)

When it ran -- From: 1809 To: 1819

How did you hear about it: Grew up about 3 miles from it :)

Did you ever ride on it: Nope :( :(

What did it haul to make it's money: Stone From the Leiper Quarry (Also Owned by Thomas Leiper)

Is it still in operation: no :( Everything but the origianl "house" that had the mill attached, is gone....

If not - what's there now?? I-476 (The Blue Route) in Southeastern, PA.. followed the route of the Railway & subsequent Canal. All remnants were destroyed or covered up by the foundation of the highway.

If you know..... Why did it go out of business: No idea, save that they finaly got permission to build the canal. They started using the Leiper canal & stopped using the trains in 1819

If it has an "Official Web Site" List it.. Lieper Raiway Leiper canal

Was the railroad built for a single purpose: To haul stone for the Leiper Quarry to teh Delaware River to be sold. (Only built because they could not get permission to build the canal. (See above)

Built by a Private company.. Yes - Thomas Leiper

If you have any other information to share(Pics etc...) Unfortunatly, just the web sites listed above. There is a Leiper Railway Marker

N

nachoman

this is a great idea. i remember finding a website or a posting that listed in alphabetcal order all railroads by state. Included were all the fallen flags. I can't remember where I found it, though. I remember being amazed at all the extinct shortlines near where i lived.

kevin

Pitchwife

Dreamer
nachoman said:
this is a great idea. i remember finding a website or a posting that listed in alphabetcal order all railroads by state. Included were all the fallen flags. I can't remember where I found it, though. I remember being amazed at all the extinct shortlines near where i lived.

kevin

Is this it? Fallen Flags

jetrock

Name of railroad___Sacramento Northern Railroad
Where it ran-- From:__San Francisco, CA_ To:__Chico, CA__
When it ran -- From:__1906__ To:__1987__
How did you hear about it__Model Railroader article___
Did you ever ride on it_Yes--part of the mainline is a museum/tourist railroad now, (in fact 2 spots are museums)__
What did it haul to make it's money_People, fruit & vegetables, steel, everything else__
Is it still in operation_No, but one of its branches still hauls freight for another railroad__
If not - what's there now??_BART, abandoned right-of-way, bike trails, other railroads, streets_
If you know..... Why did it go out of business_Absorbed by parent company, then acquired by UP__
If it has an "Official Web Site" List it_ http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ggg9y/home.html __
Was the railroad built for a single purpose_No, for both passengers and freight__
Built by a Private company_By two--originally the Oakland Antioch & Eastern and the Northern Electric_

If you have any other information to share(Pics etc...)_The website above has gobs of SN information. It was originally an electric interurban that also hauled freight, which gradually dieselized from the Forties to the Sixties__

Well???? What do you think?????

jetrock

The SN was pretty big and well-known for a little-known short line, so here's a smaller one:

Answer any or all of these questions:

Name of railroad__Mattole Valley Lumber Company____
Where it ran-- From:_Petrolia, CA___ To:_Mattole Valley___
When it ran -- From:__1908___ To:___1918_____
How did you hear about it_Engine on display at CSRM___
Did you ever ride on it_No, but its engine is still around__
What did it haul to make it's money_Tanbark, used to tan leather__
Is it still in operation__No__
If not - what's there now??_Two miles of dirt__
If you know..... Why did it go out of business_Ran out of trees____
If it has an "Official Web Site" List it___________________________
Was the railroad built for a single purpose_Yes, to haul tanbark__
Built by a Private company_Yes_

If you have any other information to share(Pics etc...)________________

babydot94513

Member in training
Jetrock, seeing as you are connected to CSRM, is there any public data base that CSRM has that we can look at and get more details on this thread topic?

JD

jetrock

The CSRMF library website has an index to its collections, but it isn't really that useful without having access to the collections/library, and for that you have to make a trip up to Sacramento.

Here's the site with the general library search engines, anyhow:

http://66.129.110.33/