Not paper...but plastic :)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekcreations, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Trekcreations

Trekcreations EnterpriseCreations

Hi folks.

I just wanted to say that there are certainly many great paper models to be found here. I've been a log time lurker, and that is only because I really have nothing to contribute as far as paper models go. I build plastic, and near finished with a PL refit build.

I never gave much thought to downloading and assembling a paper model. I have seriously as of late though.

So for someone new to the card modeling hobby, any recommendations?

2. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Welcome aboard!

You'll find most of us are reformed plastic modelers. :mrgreen:

One really good site to start with is here:

There's a little something for everyone, although the main emphasis is on sci-fi and real space models.

Again, welcome, and may all your cuts be straight!
  3. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Yes and make sure you try a couple of card models, that's what this site is all about. You'll never meet a more friendly and supportive group. I know I haven't and I've been to MANY forums. LOLsign1
  4. Trekcreations

Hey Skip, I just checked out and noticed that although your E-E bridge is offered on ebay, if you click on the bridge picture, it takes you to your domain parent directory where it can be downloaded.

Just a heads up :)
  5. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

6. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

I'm confused. your thread topic is "Not paper, but plastic." If you are concerned about paper models, how does plastic come into it? Why not just start a recommendations thread, or go to the introductions page. Sorry, just confused. I'd be more than happy to recommend some fantastic card models.:thumb:

Where would you like to begin? Star Trek? TOS, TNG, VOY...?
    Star Wars, Babylon 5, Video games, old school Sci fi. What is your bent?:mrgreen:
  7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Looking for card model suggestions would be my guess ;) I would imagine the plastic comes in cause he never build anything but....
  8. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Oh, OK.. got ya. I wonder what it is he'd like to do?
  9. Trekcreations

Thanks for all the great links. I'd really like to model a star ship, so I may have a try at a TOS E. I'd also like to create some bridges. I'll have to get myself to my local Michaels to pick up some card stock this weekend :)
  10. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Ron Caudillo did both of those. and both are J, Leslie's site/
  11. Gixergs

Gixergs Well-Known Member

12. ajmadison

ajmadison Member

Erf. W/o being unkind, I would say that some of Jay's models are not that easy for the real beginner. They're not unbuildable, but for some, well, the instructions leave a little to be desired. If you run into trouble, trekcreations, let us know, well help you out, but don't be frustrated by them. Some of them, um, are tricky.

IMnsHO, the best model for a beginner is this one:

Star Trek - Aeroshuttle Modellbaubogen

Its fairly simple, the instructions are clear, and the end result is very stunning. In fact, I think the paper version is better looking than the CGI version. Don't get fancy, just print it on good cardstock, try either Bristol Board or the 110 lbs cover stock.
  13. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

You could always go here and select from any number of excellent, free models. So much to chose from, so many different models from various designers and at so many skill levels. All for free.:thumb::cool:
  14. Trekcreations

LOL...I know I am a beginner AJ, thanks for being so kind :)

And thanks for the warning about the directions. I think I will follow your advice and start with the model you supplied.

15. ajmadison

ajmadison Member

I forgot to say, in my original posting, that this was the first card model I ever built. And I did get fancy, trying to print it on glossy paper, but the paper I used is not as pliant as ordinary papers, and was an utter failure. I rushed the second effort and it came out lopsided. The third effort was successful and I got alot of positive feedback on it. Good luck.
  16. Trekcreations

Thanks again AJ :)

Is there a specific gauge of card stock that is mostly used by you guys?
  17. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Kinda depends - thats a very personal preference. I personally use Wausau superbright 65lb. Its my all around fav. If something needs a tightly rolled tube then print a second copy to regular paper. Some people build entriely out of 110lb! Not me thats way too heavy for me. (really its about the same thickness as mine at least the cheapo 110 I get from wal mart but the density is different) I would start with some 65lbish cardstock and see how it works for ya. It kinda depends on what kinds of models you build too!
  18. ajmadison

ajmadison Member

A big "Me Too!" on this. I find that 110lb stock, strong as it is, has less longitudal rigidity. 65lb. stock is the best compromise between strength and stiffness. In the Staples, etc. around me, 65 lb. stock is called "Bristol Board" something I mentioned earlier. I tend to build models with long & narrow components. Bristol Board tends to hold its shape better for these sub-assemblies, whereas 110lb. stock, if not supported internally or through clever external bracing, tends to sag.
  19. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

bristol board is not quite the same as standard 65lb cardstock. Has something to do with the way its made. We had a thread on this some time ago.... I will see if I can dig it up. In fact it might have been me that asked it many moons ago!