Not a designer so......

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by angevine, Dec 13, 2005.

1. angevine

angevine Member

Hello one and all,

I am not a designer and would not know where to start but I found these plans for K9 from Dr Who and would love to build it.

And anyone recommend where I can go to get this made into a paper model. I can get my hands on most software but it is the skill in converting these plans to a paper model that completely stump me.

Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

2. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I don't know what programs you have but here is what I'd do. Import the JPG plans into Coreldraw of Adobi Illustrator. Then draw over the top of the bitmap to produce the shapes for the model. Draw a square over the overhead view. Convert the square to curves and then move the nodes until the edged of the shape line up with the plan. Work this way with each part/plane. For some shapes you will have to get the length of one side from one view then rotate the shape to get another length from a different view.
    Aligne straight edges to straight edges and fold on these junctures. To connect seams you can either do tabs or repeat the part at the end so that the closer comes out two ply.

Once you have all the shapes then delete the jpg plans or mark them as invisible and do-not-print.

If you want to do all of this without a computer then get a stack of tracing paper and work the same way. Lay the tracing paper over the plans to work out the shape of each part. Once you have the shape figured out then cut the shape out of the tracing paper. Stick the tracing paper template to cardstock with spraymount(or other temperary adhesive) and cut the part out of cardstock.
    It's easier to do this with a computer since you don't damage or destroy the template in using it.

I think I would approach this as if it were a ship or aircraft in that I'd build a structural frame and then put a skin on the outside. This seperates the processes of designing shape from designing surface. You don't have to worry about things being plumb at the same time that you're worrying about surface subtilites. It works well to slot the frame together.
  3. Willja67

Willja67 Member

There are several different ways to go about designing this. One way is to design every contour another way is to just make a simple box which in this case is fairly close to what the model actually is. Personally I don't like building models very much. I'd much rather design them, naturally I have to build my models to see if they actually work but I'm not near as skilled as even the middle tier builders in this forum. Obviously I am the type that would encourage you to design your own and my advice is start simple. You have a pretty easy project picked out (starting with a difficult one is a sure fire way to get discouraged) for yourself so design one and improve it till you have what you want. That's my advice. Just remember that even the nicest models you'll ever see weren't designed in a day.

If you would like some advice pm me or whatever and I'll be happy to help you with this project.
  4. Horus

Horus Member

I tend to imagine using a saw on the imaginary 3d object and then work out how to construct the individual; components from simpler shapes, cubes, cylinders, rhomboids and cones etc.
    If you use this in conjunction with illustrator, or Zonerdraw (Which is free) it helps simplify the design process.
    Sometimes a good old fashioned pencil and paper are needed.