Northrup Flying Wings

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by sdk2knbk, May 20, 2008.

1. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

I started this some time ago, and finally got back to working seriously on it Saturday. I have the AMT/ERTL p*****c kits of the XB-35 and YB-49, and I always wanted to do a YRB-49 conversion. Well, prices being what they are, I didn't want to cut up a kit I couldn't replace anymore, so I decided to try it in paper. Since it will be a simple enough "conversion" to do this way, I've also decided to just go ahead and do all 3 in paper.

First up is the YRB-49. With a wingspan of about 17.25" (438.15mm). the model sale out to just over 1/120 scale. I'll have to resize it to 1/100 or /144 once the design is done. The design/build is at about 70% at this point (at this scale, anyway). I also plan on doing a 1/72 version at some point as well. (Well, maybe, where would I put it?) Sorry for the poor pix, I need a bigger area to take them in. The model as it stands still needs the canopy, engine fairings and exhaust for the 4 in the wing, and the radar/photo pod on the bottom. The underwing engines forward ends are not correct yet, either. It's also lacking most of the panel lines. Once I had enough parts drawn, I couldn't wait to start building, and this is the result. Hope you like it, I do, so far anyway...

Scott K.

Attached Files:

2. logicman

logicman Greybeard

I like it, I like it.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

That plane looks so deceptively easy to model.
    Hey, it's just a wing, right?

I admire your patience, this is going to be a tricky one.
    Have you used formers in that wing, or do you rely on the card thickness for strength?

3. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

What impresses me is the workmanship. Perfectly smooth and even, with no wrinkles or rough edges.
  4. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

this is realy nice design:)

how u make the design using some copmuter program or some 3d units or only by mind pic and hend work :)?

as one as design models your work looks realy realy nice and cleen :)

are u going to reales it some how?
  5. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Wihat a beautiful build! How will you aluminize it? Is your design available for others or a scratchbuild?
  6. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

Hey Scott,
    What a fantastic subject- and 3 of them too!

The test builds are really looking great. The skinning is absolutely perfect looking!

Can't wait to see this one finished!

Best Regards,
  7. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Niche Market

Rereading your original post, I realize that you have the market cornered with a 1/144 scale model. No one, plastic or otherwise, has ever done the B-49 or its variants in this scale.
  8. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Whew! Looks like I picked the right subject this time! Glad you all like it. Quote: What impreesses me is the workmanship. Perfectly smooth and even, with no wrinkles or rough edges. Wow, that's the first time I've ever seen one of mine described that way, Thanks.

Logicman, so far the only former in this one is a bulkhead at the wing joint, with a joining strip around it. The paper I used is 110lb, which has been OK for the wings, but is too thick for the smaller parts like the engine cones. (I'm still looking for a local source for a decent quality 67lb paper like I used to be able to get).

Yaniv, I'm using AutoCad so far for the basic design, with a lot of fitting and guesswork for a couple of the parts. I am thinking of making a free release one way or the other, with a better (bigger?) one as a for-sale model.

Thanks Ron, praise from you is worth a lot to me!

How to make a decent natural metal finish? Hmm, good question. I might try the method Mamecraft used for their B-58, with lightly scribed aluminum foil skin, and thin paper "decals". I'm not too confident with Paint Shop Pro yet, so I'm not sure if I can do a decent texture otherwise. I may just yell for help from another modeler, once I'm satisfied with the basic design. Cornered the market with 1/144? I may have to rethink what version to make as a freebie...

Scott K.
  9. logicman

logicman Greybeard

you can get cardstock here in the UK with a foil surface.

If you can't get it in the US from a regular stationers, try a schools supply shop.

If you are brave enough to test this on your printer -I have - just spray some cardstock with acrylic paint, the type sold in automotive shops for wheels.
    Let it dry for a few days before you feed it into the printer. Print the panel lines in dark grey - or make them light grey as a guide for some gentle scribing.