Northrop SM-62 Snark by Scudbusted

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by GEEDUBBYA, Apr 25, 2006.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Guys,

Its done! Well, the model is done, the instructions are not, but they should soon follow.
    Eric, aka Scudbusted has released his 1:72 scale model of the Northrop SM-62 Snark Nuclear missile. You can find a link to 3 .pdf pages and photos at .
    Eric says that the JATO's (Jet assisted take off) and external drop tanks are soon to follow for this model. Be sure to check out the photo of him holding the prototype, it looks really good.
    He also informed me thru email that he too is also working on a launch platform/display stand for this model, so be sure to check his site in the near future too.
    While you are there, check out his other Rocket models of the Regulus I and II as well as the scud missile card models. He also offers card models that are actually capable of flight with an "estees type" rocket motor.

Have a good day and let Eric know what you think of his models with an email.

Greg aka GEEDUBBYA (GW)
  2. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Thanks for the info. Eric, Outstanding job on this one. Now were did I put that plutoniam? :twisted:
  3. Gil

Gil Active Member

Snick, Snack, Snark!

Hi GW,

Eric's really come up with a nice looking model. My sincere appreciation and thanks to him for another beautiful gem.

I've always like the Snark name (go here for the Lewis Carroll original poem:

I wonder how it would fly if blown up to 1:16 and constructed out of sheet foam? Is Eric going to put a micro burner in the rear of one to try it out? I watched the video on the two launchs of the Regulus I and liked the "Oh Jesus" part of the commentary..., At 1:96 a it would be a nice fit on a model of the U.S.S. Grayback (SSG-574) which at 317 feet would make a model a little over 1 meter in length.

Have to start thinking about IPMS in Pasadena next year...,

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Gil, Dave, et all,

Well, as you know from looking at Erics website, alot of his models are made to actually fly with the use of "estees type" rocket engines. As to whether or not he will attempt to make the snark fly, I have no idea.
    The photo of his Regulus II that I "enlarged" to 1:48 scale that looks like it is flying, is actually just a "Doctored photo" that I did (see below).
    However, even though this is a "doctored" pic, I believe that it and possibly the snark could be made to fly.
    Anyway, I will relay the "thank you's" to Eric, who due to internet server troubles cant make it into the forum as much as he likes if at all sometimes.
    Ya'll have a good day and when the instructions come out for the snark I will be sure to alert ya'll to their release also.

Greg aka GW
  5. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Snark...didn't one of those go off course during a test and end up somehere in Brasil? Just a vague memory.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Rick,

And a good "vague" memory it is, the following excerpt is from .

The Snark did not necessarily have to impact a target to terminate the flight: it came equipped with landing skids, allowing the same vehicle to be launched several times. At Cape Canaveral, many Snarks were landed on the Skid Strip after testing. Of course, many Snarks did not skid to a landing or impact their target: the Snark program encountered its share of problems, and amassed what many consider to be a less-than-enviable flight record. The number of Snarks crashing in the ocean led to warnings about "Snark infested waters". In a memorable incident in 1956, a Snark flew too far and refused its destruct command, and disappeared over Brazil (a Miami newspaper reported "They shot a Snark into the air, it fell to the earth they know not where."). The missing missile was found by a Brazilian farmer in 1983."

There is a much more detailed account of the wayward marauding snark at this site :

It tells the story of the wayward cruise missile.

Have a good evening,

Greg aka GW

7. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I've tried a couple of times and have not been able to find the link for the Snark on Eric's site. Is it my browser or am I just missing something?

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy John,

Well, its kind of a long story and nothin I can really comment on but, I recieved an email from Eric aka scudbusted, and he informed me that he "gave away" all his claims and copyrights of the snark to Dave pilleggi, since it was Dave that pretty much stayed after eric to build the model.
    Eric removed the link to the model from his site.
    HOWEVER.......all is not lost, dave offers Erics models at this link: This link has most of Erics creations including the Regulus missiles, the scuds and the snark as well as others.
    So, be sure and check out Daves site for Erics models and then check out Daves site for other models by Dave and other Designers at: .

I hope this helps you find the snark, have a good day,

Greg aka GW
  9. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Thanks GW, I thought I missed it!

Got it now!

10. scudbusted

scudbusted loopy lurker

I finished the 2nd set of instructions for the SNARK, so if anyone needs them, Dave now has them posted now in PDF format.

Thank you all, for the compliments.