North American vs. British RR terms

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by RobertInOntario, Jun 1, 2007.

  1. RobertInOntario

    RobertInOntario Active Member

    Yeah, you're right! My main layout focus is British but I still run a fair bit of North American stock as well. Rob
  2. Triplex

    Triplex Active Member

    Cut (NA) = Rake (Br)

    And one for the modellers only:

    Backdrop (NA) = Backscene (Br)
  3. RobertInOntario

    RobertInOntario Active Member

    That's a good one! Actually, I was only familiar with the term "rake" so I keep on learning from the responses in this thread!

    Thanks, Rob
  4. RobertInOntario

    RobertInOntario Active Member

    I just thought of a couple more.

    In Britain, the cab (or cab area) is very often called the footplate.

    And (obviously not a term), the engineer sits on the left-hand side of the cab in Britain and the right-hand side in North America. Please let me know if this isn't 100% correct!

  5. Jim Krause

    Jim Krause Active Member

    Off subject--Bogies/trucks is used interchangably in reference to aircraft tire(tyre),wheel and axle assemblies on aircraft, in NA and Great Britian. In the ancient past when I owned an MG TD. The shop manual was a confusing, "foreign"piece of reading to me.
  6. Triplex

    Triplex Active Member

    Track pan (NA) = Water trough (Br)

Share This Page