Norfolk&Western 'NW' scheme

Hello, friends

Any of you knows when started the Norfolk&Western to put the 'NW' scheme (only the initials, not the 'Norfolk & Western') in their SD35's? :confused:
I'm been asked about by an N&W spanish fan, and I have no idea! :rolleyes:

Thanks

BillD53A

I asked this question on the Norfolk and Western RR list, at Yahoo.com, and have only recieved one reply so far. If I hear anything different, I will let you know, but this sounds about right. Norfolk and Western began using the large NW in 1971. (They call it the F6 paint scheme). It would have taken several years for the railroad to repaint their locos, so you might easily have seen an old paint job in 1978 or later. The person who answered could not tell me when the SD35s were repainted, exactly. It could have been any time after 1971. The railroad would not have stopped operations to bring all the locos into the shops to repaint them...it would have been done as the locos came into the shops for scheduled, heavy repairs. If you are modelling any time in the 1970s, go ahead and mix the paint schemes.

Thanks, BillD53A. You have been of big help! :)
I have looked everywhere, and the nearest starting date that I have been able to point was February 1968 (when the Pennsy and the NYC merged). Your info seems more accurate for me.

Thanks!

Virginian

Hi Topo
I model Virginian and N&W RYs, but my 'chosen era' ends in late '60s..just before NW scheme began.
But,from photo essays I've seen,1971 seems right to me...can't quote a source, off hand... but search 'Norfolk and Western Historical Society", located in Roanoke,Va. (my hometown)..you may be able to get a deffinitive answer from one of the fellas there.
In the meantime, I'll check my files and books, see if I can send more info.
VGN :cool:

Gary Pfeil

I don't know much about N&W, and I'm about to show it! Didn't the name of the railroad change from Norfolk and Western to Norfolk Western when they absorbed several other lines around 1970? Then loco relettering would have occured over several years after that, as units were serviced. On the other hand, I could easily be totally wrong! I'd be interested in knowing tho.

Gary

Thanks for the help, Virginian. Don't be bothered too much for this issue. It's only a bit of nit picking ;) :rolleyes:
Gary, me too don't know much about the N&W, because my beloved RR is the Rio Grande! :D :p
The facts are that, being "the american modeler guy" in my local club, all questions related to american railroads are addressed to me! :rolleyes:

Errol, I would be happy with more people here modelling american RR's :p
In fact, I try HARD to drag members to my "sect", showing them each new Athearn Genesis babies I got! :D :D
I think that I have some almost convinced ;) Huumm, maybe if I drop a couple of Soundtraxx decoders into these D&RGW F7s... :D :p :D

Virginian

Note to Gary :
As far as I know,NW stayed "Norfolk and Western Railway" 'til Southern Railway finally 'merged with the N&W a few years later...The NW scheme came at a time when a lot of companies, in all industries, were "designerizing". Now, there is the mega-railroad, NS...Norfolk Southern!

VGN :cool: