Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by bleedingboy, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bleedingboy

bleedingboy New Member

hi. i'm new at making models. i suck at this.

i joined the forum to learn how to make models. though i'd prefer to make models of architectural related models. and i'd be browsing here for awhile, while i bother some of you... hehehe. thanks. i hope you won't be harsh on a noob like me.

i'm actually an architect by profession, but i suck at model making.
  2. Kaz

Kaz Member

Welcome to the forums.
    I dont think anyone here is harsh on a newb, quite the contrarty, most of us who look, and ask for advise, are given tons of encouragement and practicle help.
    Have fun
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Welcome to the fold bud! I am sure you are doing better than you think. Tell us how you go about making the models. I made my first ones with a stapler and a pair of office scissors - clunky to say the least. Might be same problem for you! You dont know what you dont know :)
  4. kronos

kronos Member

Welcome and dont be afraid to ask questions every one here is happy to help
  5. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Welcome aboard. I hope you'll post some photos of your work. You are sure to get some compliments or helpful advice (probably both). I did when I started out here.
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I still get lots of helpful advice and I have been here a while :p
  7. Gearz

Gearz Member

Welcome Cousin ~ You've come to the right place...!!
    :-D :-D
  8. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

LOL !! The day I stop learning is the day they nail down the lid :wink:
  9. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Welcome aboard! Don't you think everybody will become more active in building their models if they have a friend circle (albeit on the internet) around them providing support? :)
  10. Clashster

Clashster Member

Welcome! This group can really help you along! I found posting pictures of a build forced me to finish it! Lots of help here!

11. bleedingboy

bleedingboy New Member

thanks chieftains. i guess this gives me a lot for encouragement.

may i ask though.

as a model maker,
    what do i need? i don't have cash to spare on expensive equipments.
    just simple household tools. drafting would be no problem since i know autocadd, and 3d. i hope you can give me some heads up on what type of paper to use. how to do things or give it a start.

just a simple background or guidelines.
  12. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Basic stuff:
    an xacto knife and excel blades
    good sharp small scissors
    white glue (I use aileens)
    a cutting mat
    a sharpie to color edges - this takes some practice
    something fairly pointy to score edges - an empty ball point pen will work
    a steel ruler with no cork backing (you can remove the backing on a ruler if you need too) an aluminum ruler wont work cause the hobby blades will cut into it

I use 65lb paper. Bright white wausau brand.

I am prolly forgetting something but its getting awefully late for me.

Cut on! :D
  13. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Card modelling must be one of the cheapest forms of modelling. There are thousands of free models you can download from the web. Just have a browse through the Internet Finds board.

Then you simply need some white glue (PVA wood working glue is what I use), and craft knife and a cutting board of some sort. A steel rule is useful as well. That's about all you need to get started. Paper wise, I would get some 150 g/m2 paper. Stay away from glossy photo paper - it's a pain to work with (I found out the hard way !!)
  14. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Sounds like you are starting out with the same basic knowledge as I did.
    All parts of my career have centered around drafting and design work in some way shape or form.
    I am sure you already have a basic understanding of all the drawings which come in most commercial models and that alone should help you to visualize the assemblies.
    You already possess many of the skills necessary for success in modeling also and I bet you will find it to be as fun and adventurous as I do!

This forum is ripe with information also and I know you will find answers to any questions you can think of, with the proper search.
    If you can't find it, just ask and you will get all the help you could ever want.
    Trust me and have fun with it!

15. bleedingboy

bleedingboy New Member

i have some idea on commercial things. actually i like it here. it's like the other forum i'm into. in fact i can learn alot of things here. so anyone can give me a step by step technique? like which first should i do? draw then draft? or something. i was hoping there are some basic stuffs that could be refered to me, like how to make a square. hehehehhe. lol. seriously. in this part? i slept while my grade school teacher taught it to us, or i was absent. but yeah i have an idea on how to create it.. i'm just kidding. i'm more particular to challenges. the better the challenge, the better i'll learn. thanks ahead chieftains. wow.. i'm actually talking to moderators.
  16. sakrison

sakrison Member

Even the best modelers "sucked at it" when they started out.
    Give yourself a chance. We've all got papermodeling projects that ended up in the shredder.

Welcome aboard.
  17. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Try taking a look in the reserves - they are pdf format and they are basically just threads I converted to pdf so they would be easier to reference offline. Golden Bear has three tutorials on basics in there :)
  18. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Welcome bleedingboy (sounds like me around power tools). I got back into this hobby wanting to do a model of my house. But I found so much cool stuff on the 'net, and cool people and advice here, that I haven't done it yet....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.