Noob needs help!!

xbbox

Jul 10, 2006
One more question. When I'm done with all of this I will have 3 trains all running on there own track. Is there a controller that I can get to operate all three of them or do I have to stick with 3 different controllers. I want to be able to change the speed and direction of each one seperate but all with just one controller.

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
To manage 3 locomotives with 1 controller, you need to switch to DCC. In DCC, each locomotive has its own decoder so it responds only to commands sent to that decoder. A DCC control system (simple) costs between $60 and $150, depending on features. Decoders cost $15-$30 per locomotive plus labor if you have somebody else install them.

Conventional DC, which is what you have now, has no way to separate speed and direction signals between locomotives. So sections of track are separated electrically (called "blocks"). Each block has a toggle or other electrical switch to select which controller controls that particular block. The controller then sets the speed and direction for all locomotives located in that block. The ideal in block control is a separate controller for each locomotive, each connected to the blocks its particular locomotive is using. The remaining blocks are shut off, so any locomotives that are not being controlled are not receiving power.

hope this helps, but is probably not what you wanted to hear

xbbox

Jul 10, 2006
Helps out alot and your right, not what I wanted to hear. I guess Ill just be sticking with 3 controllers.