noob in need of help

Hoghead

MAGIC_CHEF said:
I tried that and it actually helped somewhat. But im thinking ill still have to upgrade sooner or later. So... whats the average price of a better engine ive look around for brands other then life like and bachmann and they seem to be around 100:eek:. Thats a bit high for me though. I wanna spend at the most 40 maybe 50. Can I get something thats worth buying for that much?
thanks for any advice.
I just finished browsing 4nscale.com and the Atlas diesels seem to be right around $69.95 for non decoder locomotives. They just received a shipment of GP40/GP40-2's recently. I have a few of those from last years release. I have a small layout (The Terrain For Trains "High Sierra") and while I am not sure of the actual grades involved, I usually opt for two DRGW Geeps to pull the train. I do have six axle Atlas and Kato engines but the struggle on the tighter curves that the track plan called for so those are packed away for a layout on another day :D

I am not sure what railroad you wish to model, but I am sure between E-Bay, 4nscale.com and Nscalesupply.com and others mentioned here before you can probably find a decent locomotive or two and some quality rolling stock. (at risk of starting another debate here I go with Micro-Trains freight cars and the Atlas Extended Vision Caboose provide enough weight per car for optimal operation.)

Good Luck and you found a great forum to seek advice, I mostly lurk here and take in all of the good info at hand!

Pooh Bah
Kevin: It looks like you have solved your problem with running-in. I don't remember a case of that dramatic an improvement, but I assume there was something off-center in the drive train and you wore it away.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Bachmann's out of the box can be a little skitish. But running them(Which is usually recomended by ALL the manufactures) at a medium speed for 10-15 minuates usually breaks it in and has them running good. Because I do this to every new loco I buy, I usually don't have problems. There is always that one though..That the demons just don't leave. Sending it back to the manufacturer normally fixes this problem.

Its also a matter of personal preference...What someone thinks is junk(Maybe because of a bad past experience)....Is someone else's diamond.

MAGIC_CHEF

60103 said:
Kevin: It looks like you have solved your problem with running-in. I don't remember a case of that dramatic an improvement, but I assume there was something off-center in the drive train and you wore it away.

Yep, I have had 0 problems since I took it apart. I still might buy a mrc power pack though.