Noob here, give me your thoughs

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Coltboostin, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Coltboostin

Coltboostin New Member

Hi, I am new to this site, and I honestly just came on to sell my old n gauge junk that I have not used in 5 or so years now. I was into Model trains, but that was befor I knew how to drive. Since then, it has all gone down hill. My father made me take down my set, and the rest is history.
    FFWD to now, and I am one of the youngest members of a growing import racing industry. I will be 21 this month, and now my father is gone, I am part of a growing performance shop, and my personal car runs 11.1@132mph, all on stock internals, 4 cylender. For those of you who know anything about cars, you know what I am talking about.

Anyways, as I said I came here to try and dump my crap, but I was checking out some pics, and I dont know if I sould just make a little layout for myself somewhere, or go with my original plans. I remember how much fun it used to be, but I will say up front I will not have time for anyhting very labor intensive with this. The only reason I may have time to put up a set is the upcoming winter. What do you guys suggest?
  2. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

Winter = "BBBBBBBRRRRRRRR" = stay indoors = build a little layout. :) :thumb: :wave:
  3. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

I would suggest cleaning up your trains and setting up a small temporary layout just to see if the thrill is still there.
    Don't spend a pile of money on new locos and such or design a complex layout until your sure you want to continue with the hobby. Then if you decide to continue, dive in. If not, you haven't wasted any money.
  4. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Hi Coltboosting, and welcome to the Gauge. Funny thing about model railroading - one look and you're just about hooked again!!!
    Ray's advice is excellent. Maybe you could set up a little Christmas layout. See how you like it and go from there.
    And btw, we have a couple of car nuts here as well!

5. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

:D A stock Colt that does 11.1@132mph ----- Cool!!!! My friend had a '68 Nova that did 12.5 @ 108!! Nice stuff!!!

I have to agree with what has been said... Even if you just make a basic circle of track with a few buildings & a switch or 2, it will let you know, if you like watching them run.

But remember, the real joy comes from building something from scratch or "Gluing 2 things together that have never been glued together before" and creating something new!. When someone else sees it & says how great it looks it's the same exact feeling you get from that Colt! :D when someone comments on that "fastest run" of the day!

Or partially restoring a '72 Catalina (my Antique) :D :D

It's a feeling unmatched.... something "you did" that makes someone else smile & nod! :) :)

It's too cool!!!!!!! Let us know if you need any help! See how fast we already are replying to your question??

~~~ Oh and by the way.. Welcome to The Gauge!!!! :D
  6. ddavidv

ddavidv Member

Hi Mr. Colt! :wave:
    I'm probably one of the bigger resident car geeks here. Obviously, this group will be biased to convincing you to keep your stuff. ;) Let me tell you what works for me.
    I hate winter. Despise it. Even when I get the garage up to a workable temperature I don't like being out there this time of year. So I stayed indoors, watched TV, and gained a few pounds. I was bored out of my mind. So I decided I needed a hobby, returned to model RRing as I'd always liked building stuff, and bought some N scale items on Ebay cheap just to see if it would be fun.
    It has proven to be an excellent idea. Keeps my mind busy planning and solving problems. Keeps my idle hands busy gluing ballast or building a structure. And with N, doesn't take up half the house to have a enjoyable layout. Best of all, I find it relaxes me a surprising amount after a stressful day of dealing with IDIOTS, which seems to be what I do for a living. :rolleyes: This board has been immensely helpful.
    If you look around here a bit, you'll find layouts built into coffee tables, so it doesn't take much space to get a train running. I'd say give it a try. :thumb:
    BTW, if you've ever read Grassroots Motorsports you may be aware of their 'Challenge' contests. I was part of the winning team in 2002 with a supercharged BMW. :D Didn't run 11's though, but the V8 Miata they built the following year (without me) got into the 12's, IIRC. :cool: