Noname build

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, Figurines & Paperdolls' started by rockpaperscissor, Apr 18, 2007.

1. I had so much fun building Haruhi that I thought it was about time I tackled another anime girl. I got this one from the Pepakura site - Japanese users gallery - #217, and the title of the file is No Name, so I've decided to call her "Noname". That sounds pretty Japanesey, I think. Hopefully it's not a phonetic Japanese obscenity or something. Since she has no name, I can't search to see if she's a "real" anime cartoon character, or just something out of the designer's imagination. If she's real, maybe someone on the forum will recognize her.

First impressions: I like what I'm seeing. The parts on the 2 pages of jpeg files are laid out as they will be assembled, and all the parts that are intended to be rolled into cylinders are oriented properly with the paper grain. The artwork is crisp and colorful, and there are no score lines - woo hooo! The glue tabs alternate on each mating part, and are designed to interlock. I'm sure it will result in a strong joint, but I find this a little intimidating since I'll have to apply glue quickly to both pieces to capture all the tabs. We'll see how it goes. Unfortunately my color ink cartridge is nearing end of life, and the flesh tones didn't come out as nice as they might have. The color is a little weak I think. The set of files includes front and back exploded drawings of Noname to serve as assembly directions, and photos of the completed figure are available as well. Let the games begin!

Here's what she's supposed to look like

Printed sheets

I started on one of her boots, and found out a couple of things right away: Thing 1: Although I prefer the rolled look over the scored/bent look for figure models, it just wasn't gonna happen for Noname. I don't know if was the alternating tabs, the small size of the parts, or my 10 thumbs, but the boot parts just wouldn't join up neatly. Thing 2: I don't like alternating tabs. I found them very hard to work with, so what I'm going to do is add extra tabs on the north end of each part, and remove the tabs from the south end. Much more like what I'm used to. Now I'm comfortable. I wound up printing the right boot again, and started all over, scoring/bending this time - ahhh, much better!

I started each nine piece boot at the toe, and worked my way up. That way I always had an opening available to fit needle nosed pliers through to squeeze the glue tabs. Plus, the openings got larger as I worked my way up the boot, and got that much easier to work with.

Noname's high heeled, thigh high boots turned out to be pretty complex to build, and due to all the handling and scoring, the black ink started rubbing thin in places. I wound up having to repaint them with black acrylic paint. Too bad because the designer took the time to texture the boots with lighter highlights for a more 3D look. Maybe I'll try to duplicate that effect with paint later on.

Next up was her thighs and pelvis. The thighs are each made up of two pieces, and the pelvis is made up of three. After the pelvis was built it was time to attach her thighs. The legs dry fit very well into their respective openings. I glued them in place one tab at time. It would have been easier for me if I had attached the left and right pelvis sides to the top of each thigh first, and then mated them individually to the central pelvis part. If you plan on building your own Noname, learn from my missteps. Now it was time to attach her boots. I wanted to make sure that she would balance on her own two feet, so I used some extra glue so that the joints would stay wet longer and I'd have more time to manipulate the pieces to ensure a solid stance. Once I was happy with the positioning, I left her alone for an hour or so to ensure that the glue was fully cured. She's a bit pigeon toed, but she looks that way in the model photos too. I forgot to include a size reference in the photo - so far she's exactly four inches (10 cm) tall so far.

These boots are made for walkin'

Hopefully it won't be too long before my next installment. I've been spending the last couple of days pumping out my basement from the Northeast US storm. The water table is about 4 inches above the level of the floor though, so it just keeps coming back in. I can't wait for the summer!

2. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

She's looking great!!!!! Love these figures.
  3. bill516

bill516 Member

I tried this model some time ago and when I tried to get her clothes on they would'nt fit. I never did manage to do it so I will be intrigued to see if you do. Nice looking build so far, far supperior to what I managed.

4. Continuing on with Noname, I built her 2 piece skirt next. It went together perfectly. I painted the underside dark blue for a better look. I dry fit it to the lower body assembly, and found that it fits perfectly over her hips.

After the skirt I moved on to her head. I started at the crown and worked my way down her face. If I had taken the time to remove the tabs from each piece, and used joining strips from the back, the finished face would have been smoother, but I didn't take the time. My bad. I added extra tabs on the upper edge of each piece, as I did with the boots, and removed the ones from the lower edge. I just find it easier to work this way that with alternating tabs. Regardless, I'm pretty happy with the way the basic head turned out. She has double sided ears which have to be laminated and then glued onto the sides of her head. She also has two double sided pony tails with glue tabs. I cut slots into the sides of her head, and slid these in. Then, with a dental tool, I reached in through the neck hole, applied glue, and bent the tabs over, pressing them to the inside of the head until they adhered. A couple of yellow bows and bangs complete her head.

So far I'm pretty happy with the build, everything has gone together easily with no fit problems. Per bill516, I'm expecting some difficulty when I get to her blouse and jacket, but hopefully I'll be able to work through it.

Legs 'n head

5. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

She's lookin good Don :D
  6. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Neat modelling, looks like a nicely done design..... But......

No, It's me. My weird post-Victorian Grammar School Stiff Upper lip upbringing gurgling malevolently to the surface as it does, when my guard is down.

No, you'll all call me a repressed prude....

No, hang it, I'm going to ask anyway.

Does anyone else find this Japanese style of cartoon/animation/model design, just a bit, um, how can I put this, um, unsettling?

Don, I'm not getting at you! She is a fine piece of work and no mistake! But the Japanese approach to this is subject matter is just a bit not quite OK?

I am being a prude, aren't I.......

Ignore me.

7. Tim, obviously you left Tolerance Camp before being fully indoctrinated. Here's what you missed: 1. Morality/ethics are relative. 2. No one has the right to judge. 3. All cultures/belief sytems are morally equivalent.

Truthfully, sometimes I think some of them are a bit icky, too. At least this one has underpants on!

8. BazookaJo

BazookaJo Member

9. She's on page 17 of the Japanese users gallery, file # 217. You have to download it directly from there. If you still can't manage to get where you need to go I can PM you the files.

10. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Not sure how I missed this thread... But it's a great build!! I admire your skills.
  11. pantherbug

pantherbug New Member

lot of impatience...

Dear modeler, I congratulate you for this building as I have already tried this model, but starting from up and leaving legs for later steps.

I'm really waiting to have your comment and clever tips on the building of main body and shoulder.

I have printed and reprinted and tried to assemble this part ELEVEN time and it just doomed the model ...

May be a version with dotted line for crease could help, but it seems to be somewhat a sophisticated fold anyway.

12. Noname has a name now

Judging by some of your responses to this thread, Noname is about to get very challenging. I scored and glued up her neck - just a simple cylinder. Then I formed the lower neck part, her clavicle I guess you could say, and joined the two pieces together. So far, so good. Then it was on to her upper body.

This is the most complicated piece in the whole model. After studying the part for a good ten minutes, trying to visualize how it would fold up and go together, I took the bull by the horns and got started. I drew in extra glue tabs in the neck opening since I had already cut them all off the south edge of the mating clavicle part (remember, I'm not a big fan of the interlocking glue tabs and my rule has been to remove them from the south end of each part and add them to the north end). I've been finding that the extra tabs helps me to visualize where to place score lines, and on this piece they were especially helpful. After scoring, I cut the part out and started to form this devious little puzzle into shape. After gluing a couple of planes together that were obviously intended to be mated, I could see I was heading in the wrong direction. Referring to the exploded pictures in the zip file collection, I was able to find my mistakes. I cut the glued joints apart and started over. On this body part, if you think something's obvious, you're probably wrong. I was now on the right track for assembly, but before the part was fully formed it sort of collapsed in on itself, and I could tell that I was not going to be successful the way I was going :mad: . I finally have a name for Noname. It's "you little @$^*!~&%". I decided to sleep on it, print out a new part the next morning, and try again.

Eureka! I had a brainstorm in the night, and ultimately I was succesful in building this assembly :grin: . Here's how I did it: Once again I drew in the extra tabs in the neck opening, scored up the part and cut it out. Next I joined the two "wings" of the part down the spine. After that, I glued the clavicle assembly into the neck opening. As I had hoped, this stiffened the part and kept it from collapsing as I continued to bend, form, and glue it into it's final shape. Now I have to hope I can get her clothing to fit over the top of this part. Wish me luck!

It's a rainy, dreary day, so these photos are dark and grainy, but you'll get the idea.

Ta daaah!

13. pantherbug

pantherbug New Member

Wow, you have done it!

Thank you very much! You are obviously better than me.

Noname has learned something important to me: keep fave the models designed with an obvious will to make building more practical, quaranteene these crazed automated unfolds with no human management...

Anyway, following your directions, let's go for an other attempt.
  14. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

"Have you been naughty baaaabee!" Austin Powers

Tim I think Austin would have loved this style of paper modeling!

I hear where you're coming from................... but you have to admit this one does look cute!

Nice job on it so far!

15. dinsour

dinsour Member

no name

Hey Rock:
    She's great. I think she is kind of cute too. I think I'm in love again.
    Hmmm I think I've been alone too long. (dirty old man) :twisted: I would never dream of atempting to match your skills at this, but if I could I would face another problem. I would want to give them to my Grand daughters. With all the TLC needed to build her I could not part with her even for my treasured Grand daughters.

Once again great build. My hats off to you sir.

-73 Ron
  16. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Simple solution, Ron. Build two of them~

And Tim, my word on the Japanese way of doing things is... you have to accept it's a different culture at work.
  17. Thanks for the support and kind words fellas. She may look sweet, but believe me when I tell you, she is a devil to build. I made great strides on her today, and if the sun is out tomorrow enabling decent photos I should have another post with my progress.

18. dinsour

dinsour Member

Two would not help. I have six grand daughters and two great grand daughters. Plus I would have to build one for me. I really couldn't manage one let alone six. LOL I'd end up in a rubber room. :cry:

------73 Ron
  19. Noname's tunic

Next in line was her tunic. This girl just keeps getting more and more difficult! Thanks to bill516's warning, I already knew to look out for a real challenge here, and Noname, or "you litle @$^*!~&%" as I now call her, didn't disappoint. To serve as instructions there are these little snakey indicator arrows which wrap all around each other and point here and there, but believe it or not, they really do help when putting her tunic together. Without them I'm sure she would have wound up in the trash, or the hibachi, or the shredder. I again started at the bottom and worked my way up. It looked safer that way. The bottom two pieces were cake, but I could already see that the opening for her waist looked impossibly small to fit her torso assembly into. I guess this is what bill516 was warning me about. Hmmm. What to do, what to do.....

I decided to ignore the problem for the moment, and affix the next tunic piece to the previous two. This piece brought the tunic up to the bottom of her shoulderblades in the back, and a little below her sternum in the front. Her torso was still not going to fit, but now I had a better idea of how far down into the tunic it had to go. Too far. Her torso seemed to be longer than it really had to be, so I took a deep breath and chopped a piece off.

The piece

I don't know if I'm good or just a lucky dog, but after removing this piece, her torso looked like it was going to fit now! After scoring and cutting out the tunic collar, I used a purple marker on the inside to match the border on the front. Then I joined the tunic collar piece together at the back, to make it ring shaped. I glued the collar to the tunic - but just in front. At this stage I wanted her torso to be removable. Next it was on to the sleeves. I again marked the backside with a purple border before gluing them in place. I worked my around from front to back on each sleeve, leaving the rear segment unattached for the moment. Then I slid her torso back in and prepared to button her up, so to speak. I glued the collar piece to the tabs on the back of the tunic - it is a very tight fit - her torso is held in by pressure alone - no glue required. Finally I attached the rearmost edge of each sleeve to complete the tunic with Noname encased within. What a freakin' battle! I gotta go take a shower.

Her skirt has that pleated schoolgirl thing going on, and at this point I tacked it to the completed tunic in just a couple of places in front and rear. I'm in the home stretch now! I just have to build her arms and attach the major assemblies together to call this one done.

Upper body from the front

and from the back

20. bill516

bill516 Member

Don you did it, you've proved it can be done I am going to have to have another go at this girl one day soon. The tunic looks a superb job no matter how I tried I could not get mine to join up at the rear, I remember someone else remarking on the same fit problem on another site, so I put it down to an error in the design. Now I know it was operator error. Looking forward to the completes pics.