Noisy Bachmann DCC Loco

elwood

Jun 25, 2005
Got my whole EZ command set up and running.....So far so Good. But the Bachmann DCC equipped loco it came with is loud when I run it with DCC. It Emitts kind of a growling or buzzing noise. But when I run it on plain DC, the noise goes away. Is this a decoder problem? Are all bachmann DCC locos this way? The noise is very annoying. How much should I expect to pay to for a decoder to convert my older locos to DCC?

Thanks for the info...

railwaybob

Jun 15, 2003
Ottawa, Ont
www.railwaybob.com
It is normal for some locomotives, including Bachmann locos, to growl or buzz when running under DCC when compared to running under DC. You should hear the growling coming from the Bachmann HO scale "Thomas the Train" or their 2-8-0 locos. No harm is being done to the motor.

If you are into HO, depending on what "bells and whistles" you want, a decoder can cost as little as around $20. Shop around for prices.

elwood

Jun 25, 2005
If this is a common thing...I'm going back to block control. I can't handle this buzzing crap. It gets really annoying when I'm in a yard and doing some slow speed switching stuff. I might box up the ez command and send it back. I had no idea that the bachmann locos would make this noise on DCC. I guess the ones that are quiet are the expensive ones. I'm on a bachmann type of budget so, looks like Ill be going back to block control.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi,
Are you sure the loco has a decoder?? A non-decoder equipped loco run with a DCC controller will buzz & whine; when run on DC, the buzzing ceases. Was the loco advertised as "DCC Ready"? This means it's ready for you to put a decoder into it...

I have a handful of B'mann locos and none buzzes when properly equipped.

Gus.